To tripod or not to tripod...

How often do you use a tripod?

• Total voters
A tripod is hard to get used to, but like all things, if you start using one regularly, it get's easier, faster, etc...

If you want the sharpest pics possible you have to use a tripod.

For landscapes I use the tripod about 99% of the time. With portraits about 50% of the time. I have some cameras that always get put on the 'pod, some that are always hand held, and few that get used both ways.

A tripod is not suitable for all subjects, cameras, or photographers. But if you have the extra time to use one, force yourself to get it out and use it. Compare it to some hand held shots, maybe you are steady as a rock and don't need to use one. Maybe you notice a difference (particularly when enlarged).

Also, a light tripod, while easier to carry, may not be much better than hand holding. The heavier it is, the more stable it will be. Some have a hook in the center to hang your camera bag off and increase the weight.

I compose my pictures by basically walking/moving around with my face in my viewfinder, so for me using a tripod really inconveniences my composition process. I would have to setup my tripod and then look around in the limited range to see if I like the composition and then do it all over again for some other angle/view.

Although what I have done before is to find a composition I like first without a tripod and then mimic the composition with a tripod. But I only do that when I think I really need a tripod...usually with low lighting and slow shutter speeds. Maybe I only have "amateur" eyes but can't tell a huge difference between my handheld and tripod shots, so I'd rather not take the time to setup one. Well, aside from the obvious shakes I can't tell the difference.

Also that's just one of the nice things about digital. I can preview the shot on my LCD monitor before I leave. I don't know about the rest of you but I can pretty much tell if a shot has some blurred shakes in it from the previews and my LCD screen isn't all the great.

markc said:
I prefer the mobility and ability to "catch the moment" that handheld gives.
I agree. Even for landscapes there is still the "catch the moment" type of shots. For example, sometimes the winds can be pretty strong around here and cloud formations can change within minutes. If I already had a tripod set up then it's not a huge problem but I have had situations where the five minutes it takes me to set up a tripod the clouds have move from the composition I wanted.

Basically, if I notice an unacceptable quality loss then I'll use a tripod but other than that no.

I use mine when I can, but following a 4 year-old around with a tripod is not gonna happen.

I have to agree with Big Mike that it does tend to make me slow down and think about my shot. My best photos are all products of slowing down and using my tripod.

Shark said:
In general, average shooting, how often do you use a tripod?

I use it, I use it!... I admit, guilty as charged. The thing is, when I shoot MF I use it 100% and to be honest with you I don't even think I've shot one single frame hand held. With 35mm though is another story. I hike a lot during the Summer and carrying a tripod is quite a task, so I shoot pretty much hand-held. I have shots taken up to 1/2 of a second while hand-held (but propped against something like a tree or a wall).

Truely a tripod is probably not a great idea for street photography, candids, action photography, etc... And even though I use one all the time, and I've gotten used to it, I do enjoy the freedom of hand holding.

But as far as landscape goes, a tripod will improve the sharpness and detail quality. I though it was too much of a pain in the butt too. Then I did hand held vs. tripod tests with Tmax 100 35mm. While the difference is hard to see (not impossible) at 8x10, by the time you get to 16x20 you will see a big diff. Now I do all of my landscapes on MF or LF, and save the 35mm for handheld situations. One of the reasons I fell in love with my Rollei TLR was becasue it takes such great handheld pics.

For me it was worth it to get used to dealing with the tripod, and now I'm very fast, considering the equipment I'm using.

Harpper said:
I compose my pictures by basically walking/moving around with my face in my viewfinder
Some photographers, after taking about a bajillion images, can compose in their head. They've looked through their lenses so often, they know what the scene before them will look like if using a 35mm, or a 50mm, or a 125mm. They know what the depth of field will look like at different apertures for each of their lenses. I'm starting to get a taste of that. It's really damn cool to be able to know what a picture will look like so that you don't have to fiddle with stuff to "find" it. Using prime lenses instead of zooms really helped me get closer to that. When you limit your choices, you get to know them a lot more intimately.

I think I had a point when I started. Oh yeah, when I was doing landscapes that was exactly what I was doing. I'd take a tripod with me, but half the time I'd just free-wheel it. I guess the point is that it doesn't have to stay that way. The more pictures you take, the easier a tripod is to use. It might not be a bad idea to break it out once in a while, as some pictures that you wouldn't have used it for earlier, you can now.

markc said:
Some photographers, after taking about a bajillion images, can compose in their head. They've looked through their lenses so often, they know what the scene before them will look like if using a 35mm, or a 50mm, or a 125mm. They know what the depth of field will look like at different apertures for each of their lenses.

I've always pretended that I'm looking through a camera as I go about my daily business. I look at a scene and think about how it would look at different focal lenths and DOF, and I attempt to previsualize the final image(even though it'll never really be taken). I find this to be a great exercise, and after doing it for years I've gotten pretty good at setting up the tripod right in the perfect spot for the composition I've previsualized.

I can set up a tripod and fire up a Speed Graphic (tripod fully folded up and the camera from a backpack) ready to expose in about a minute if I had to. Usually I take my time once it's up.

If you haven't guess yet, I'm, the one who voted ">60% of the time."

I think whether to use a tripod all depends on situation, subject, time of day, available light, and LENS. If you are shooting a bird in the forest at 6pm with a 300mm lens at f22, you better have a tripod, or you better have a $1000 Canon L IS lens :p

I use it if im doing low light things like sunsets where the camera needs to be steady to get a good clear crisp shot. I keep the tripod in my car all the time, but I only have one quick release thing and im switching it between the slr and digital, I need to get a 2nd one but im not sure where to get a 2nd *thinks the brand is vinitar*, that or just get a 2nd similar tripod to keep in the truck so each camera will have a quick release.

As far as I can remember, every landscape shot I've taken for the last 20 years has been from a tripod :)

It helps with:
- Composition
- Sharpness
- Special fx (waterfalls, streaking car lights, etc.)
- Allows the use of slow speed film for large prints
- Extend one leg in the forest to help knock down spider webs
- Helps hold camera while changing film
- Self defense against angry critters
- Can hold reflectors or umbrellas
- Use for support when climbing steep hills
- Use for splint when falling down the steep hill you just climbed

The list just goes on and on ....

Jim said:
- Extend one leg in the forest to help knock down spider webs

- Self defense against angry critters

- Use for support when climbing steep hills

These are 3 great reasons for using a tripod. I was out 3 weeks ago and ran into skunks twice! The first one wasn't the least bit afraid of me, and I fled across an icy stream to escape. When I ran into the second one, i raised my tripod with Speed Graphic attached over my head making me appear 10+ feet tall, and it decided not to mess with me. I wonder if that would work with bears?

My tripod also has spikes on the ends of the legs which come in handy when attacked by ninja.

I've had run-ins with skunks as well. One with rabies scared me plenty, but it was too sick to attack.

Haven't seen any Ninjas. I thought about taking Bear fighting lessons once, but they were too expensive. I just go without deodorant now, so they can smell me and run away.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back