To What Extent is my Camera Weatherproof?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by pm63, Mar 27, 2008.

1. pm63

pm63 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Simply, to what extent is my Nikon D40 weatherproof?

I've had it out when rain was JUST starting, very early stage, just tiny specks of water barely falling from the sky, but have always hesitated after this point and put the camera away.

I know it isn't weatherproofed officialy but must be to a small extent.

2. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How about, not at all? The lcd's, lens mount, buttons, or anything that water looks like it could get in, will let water in. A little water on the camera won't hurt it, but if you're in the rain and enough seeps through the cracks, you'll be upgrading to a weather sealed camera sooner than you may want to.

That's why people use weather sealed lenses and plastic bags. The lenses are sealed against water and plastic bags with a hole for the lens to go through provide a good rain coat, as long as you still want to take that risk.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Seeing as it doesn't have weather sealing like the pro bodies, there probably hasn't been much testing. The best thing to do, is probably what you did....when it starts raining, put it away. Of course, there are several ways to cover your camera and continue to shoot in the rain.

Actually, I accidentally did some wet weather testing with my Canon 20D. I was in Costa Rica and I went on a 'Rain Forest Canopy Tour'. It was a zip-line adventure, so we had to wear a harness and other safety gear...which meant that I couldn't bring my camera bag (backpack). When we left base camp, it wasn't raining so I brought my camera with me. We rode horseback and then hiked up to the starting point, and by that time it had started to rain. A little later and we were up in the trees in a torrential downpour. I had a shower cap in my pocket, so I put that over the camera as best as I could. I couldn't even hold the camera while on the zip line because it required two hands.
    Anyway, the camera got completely soaked.

I took the battery out and tried to dry it off as best I could. It stopped raining on the way back to the base camp and I actually got some pretty good photos. When we got back into the van, the LCD screen started to fog up, on the inside. It was a day or two before the screen cleared up completely...but the camera suffered no ill effects...and is still working great, a few years later.

Maybe I got really lucky or maybe these things aren't as delicate as we think. Either way, I don't recommend trying that...but it's good to know that it could handle it.

I'm not sure how well the D40 compares to the 20D.

4. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Let's put it this way, I'd not recommend washing it in the dishwasher... lol.

The D40 has no weather sealing. Cameras like the D200, D300, D3 do have a weather seal, but again, no camera is waterproof.

5. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There's a picture "floating" around on the Canon DSLR forums about a guy who's camera took a dip in the ocean. It was only in the water for a few seconds, but it was a total loss. He took it apart and you could see rust all over the inside.

That's why it's reccomended that you clean your gear, your car, and anything else that could rust when you leave the beach.

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I remember that. It was very interesting....not only because of the damage that was done...but because of the detailed dissection that he did. I believe there were something like 20 pages and 50 or more photos.

I know someone else who dropped their camera into salt water...they immediately rinsed it in fresh water and that seemed to save the camera because it wasn't destroyed the way the other one was. Or maybe they just got lucky.

7. Groupcaptainbonzo

Groupcaptainbonzo TPF Noob!

It's NOT.

8. Sandspur

Sandspur TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The D40 is not at all weatherproof. None of them are until you get to the top of the line pros, and sometimes. even then, not so much.

Case in point. Several years ago I bought a Nikon F100 (film), the equivalent of today's D300 (or probably even better) as far as build quality is concerned.

It took me exactly eight months to destroy it ... with about a tablespoon of saltwater that splashed into the camera bag while out in a boat. Yeah, the bag was ALMOST - but not quite - closed.

Bottom of camera was in the little pool at the bottom of the bag for maybe ten seconds. But that was just enough for the water to seep in through the battery compartment door, short out the batteries ... and kill the darn thing dead!

I now have a $1200 doorstop in my studio (No, I'm not kidding! It's a constant reminder of something I really need to remember!)

9. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And I hope a shiny insurance contract for your new camera sitting in your studio drawer.

10. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't see what the big deal is. Keep adding water.

[​IMG]