Today I met a man named Rusty (five photos).

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Peach Comma, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Peach Comma

Peach Comma TPF Noob!

Pictures first, and after them is this little thing I wrote up about meeting him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and the color version:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and the color version:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today is Thursday and Thursday is always a good day for some picture takin', so it was no surprise to me when I found myself thinking, "Hot dern, I oughtta go out picture takin'!" Because it's Thursday, and you know what they say about Thursdays.

As soon as my classes ended I put some film in the camera, put the van in gear, and attacked the road with a thirst and a righteous zest for Photography, the holiest of all -agraphies (geography [and dare I say it, calligraphy] be damned)!

So, I'm driving, ya know, listening to folk music and just trying to get myself into my Picture Takin' Mood, and looking for roads that I've never been on before. Ah! There's one. But wait! I spot it too late to turn so I just keep driving, telling myself that I'll come back later to that road. Boy am I glad I didn't go down that road, because if I had, I would have never met one of the nicest, most interesting fellows I've ever come across.

The road I end up taking is that road beside the gas station in Masonville. If you know where that is, you know where it is, and if you don't know, I'm not going to explain it because that would take a God awful long time to do (but it's to the right of the Masonville gas station; don't blink or Whoops, you missed it! Shootfire, now ya gotta turn around!). If you drive down this road a couple of miles you'll run into some sharp, sharp curves and along one of these curves is a field. A field with some barns on top of it! And if you've ever seen pictures of mine, you know that me and my camera love takin' pictures of barns. So I pull over to a house that is off to the side of the field and I ask this nice lady if she owns the barns or if she knows who does, because hey, I need to take some pictures of those barns. She says that no, she doesn't own them, and that she doesn't know who does or did or whatever, but that her husband does. And then, and then, and then. And then she introduces me to her husband. This, is how I met one of the nicest, most interesting fellows I've ever come across.

This, is how I met Rusty.

Rusty came around the barn with a hammer in his hand and I asked him the same question that I had asked his wife. He answered me and asked me why I was taking pictures, is it for class, newspaper, and so on. And I tell him no, that I just like taking pictures. We talk about this for a little bit and then I ask if I can take some pictures of him and he tells me, "Sure."

From here we went on a little walk and he showed me his property and pointed out things that I might like taking pictures of. But while he was doing all of this, he was telling me all about himself and his family and the things he likes and just about everything a man can tell you. And I stood there. And I listened to him. And Rusty is one of the nicest, most interesting fellows I've ever come across.

I suppose the things he told me about were regular ol' things. About how after he got married, his wife told him that she's always wanted a horse, so he bought her a horse, even though she can't ride it. About how when things are turning rough, he'll go sit on one of the stones buried in the ground beside his pond and watch the sun set and how that's his heaven. About how he's afraid he hasn't given his children as good of an upbringing as his parents gave him. These are things. Regular ol' things. But I stood there and listened to him talk for over an hour like a kid watching cartoons on Saturday morning. And I took pictures of him.

I think part of the reason that I was so enthralled by this ordinary guy was that he's the complete opposite of me, but pretty much exactly what I want to be. He's a genuine person. He told me a lot of things and he meant every bit of it. He's not trying to come across as cool or ironic or hip or whatever. Rusty is Rusty and that's that and he's happy with himself and happy with his life. I think that Rusty might also be my new hero.

Because he's genuine, but also because he kind of looks like Tom Waits.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Verbal

Verbal $100

2 and 4 are awesome.

3. Verbal

Verbal $100

By the way, you have a fantastic gift not only for photograpy, but for writing. That was a pleasure to read.

4. Peach Comma

Peach Comma TPF Noob!

I 'preciate it greatly, friend.

5. puzzle

puzzle TPF Noob!

^^ Seconded :) Great shots, wonderful story - thanks for sharing.

6. essjayyell

essjayyell TPF Noob!

I love these, and I had a look at some of your other photos and I have to say I'm a fan. I like your style.

7. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice story; nice series!
    Love #5!!

I say you should gift him a couple of prints! :)

8. bamboox

bamboox TPF Noob!

same here, really enjoy reading your story. with story behind them, it really takes those pictures to different level.

9. Chiller

Chiller Mental case

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very true. Excellent shots, and writting. :thumbup: :thumbup:

10. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

your life changed through this happenstance. you have some great shots to add to your portfolio, but more importantly; a new friend.

thanks for sharing this with us!

11. Raymond J Barlow

Raymond J Barlow TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Meeting new folks is the most fun.. great story, and congrats on your acquaintance with a genuine fellow. there are many like him, all over the world.

The best thing in this story is the fact that you recognized his character, and admired it... which leads me to believe that you do see something in him, that's inside yourself. go with it!

12. MommyOf4Boys

MommyOf4Boys TPF Noob!

Your story really brought these photos to life..wonderful series!