480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
.... I no longer do commission work. Especially portraits.

My next-door neighbor's 11-YO grand-daughter stopped by and begged me to take some photos of her since she was all dressed up to go to a wedding. So I grudgingly obliged her.

D62_3817%20post.jpg

D62_3815%20post.jpg

D62_3794%20post.jpg

D62_3729%20post.jpg

D62_3742%20post.jpg

I'm sure I'd never make it as a portrait photographer these days. I missed focus on many otherwise decent images, and wasn't watching my ISO, which caused them to come out very noisy.

Plus, I really wasn't feeling up to the task as I was beat to death from crawling around in an attic all week at work. Maybe someday, I can talk her folks into setting up a real, proper session.

Anyway.... fire away with your comments.

What a great guy! I bet you made her day. :)
Considering the situation these look fine to me, and I bet they will be okay with setting up another shoot.

Another shoot will probably happen, hopefully better planned with 'the right gear' and more energy on my part. Don't know if I can set it up yet this fall or will have to wait until next spring.

Would be a great use of my Tair 135/2.8.

Shoot, those are pretty good for not being into it.

She's 11???

My suggestion: fewer faddish grown-up poses (they look forced, and quite frankly are getting tired even for adults) and more like #2.

As JC said pretty good considering. Sometimes we are our worst critic.

Oh, make sure someone is there with you. I am shocked at the amount of trust people have in others they don't really know. I am helping friends of wife's family out with senior pics of a 16 year old girl and they just want to send her on over... not happening, I am having another adult with me at all times. I don't trust any of these young girls today. Oh, by the way, I don't like taking senior pictures. Lets go over to the railroad tracks, can you shoot me with the sun behind my head?, lets take a pic in front of the downtown painted brick wall.... I am so over it.

11 is the new 16. I really like the last shot. She's cute and has an interesting face. She'll make a good subject for a more planned shoot. I do agree with jc about having someone else around no matter how well you know the family. One of the coaching rules for my daughters softball league is that coaches are never allowed to be alone with the athletes and it's for the coaches protection as much as for the girls.

Last edited:
Another shoot will probably happen, hopefully better planned with 'the right gear' and more energy on my part. Don't know if I can set it up yet this fall or will have to wait until next spring.

Would be a great use of my Tair 135/2.8.

That would be the perfect lens.
You could always do a winter shoot in the snow. :)

I'd say that for what was pretty much an impromptu shoot, these are excellent. You underrate yourself worse than I do and with less cause!

That girl is only eleven? Good LORD!

Agree with the above; I've seen people pay for much poorer work (No, NOT mine thankyouverymuch! :p ). The only point I will add is that I think a little less DoF might have been beneficial; allowing for greater subject/background separation.

An 11 yo would be a lot cuter in her play clothes making a sand castle or some such activity, and not trying to be all grown up. Life is short, childhood is even shorter, don't miss it.

An 11 yo would be a lot cuter in her play clothes making a sand castle or some such activity, and not trying to be all grown up. Life is short, childhood is even shorter, don't miss it.

I can see that attitude towards a 5-yo. But this girl actually is a lot older than she looks.

I suppose. It just looks like she is trying to attract men and that's a disturbing thought. (to me) Just a personal preference.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back