Today, I'm the newest noob!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by jocose, Sep 16, 2005.

1. jocose

jocose TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi! I'm brand new to this site, and I'm glad I found it. I bought myself a reward present back in June, a Canon PowerShot S2 IS, and I've been taking pictures of everything. I've only had point-and-shoot cameras before (I don't even think my last one had a zoom), so I'm way out of my league here, but I'm lovin' it. Sadly, I don't know a whole lot about what I'm doing, which is why I went with the S2 instead of blowing several grand on an SLR.

Anyway, I joined the forum so I can learn how to use my camera, how to take great pics, and how to play with them in Adobe Photoshop.

Please check out my photoblog, and leave comments!

Hope to meet all of you on the forum.

2. LittleMan

LittleMan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Welcome to the photo forum!
    Glad to have you here!
    You'll learn a lot from all the users here! :) I know I did.

-Chris

3. jocose

jocose TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks! I've already started posting...no sense wasting time :)

4. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

welcome to TPF.

5. jocose

jocose TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks! Glad to be here :)

I've been playing in the forums, and now I think I'm in information overload...but I reckon that is better than the other way round.

6. Aoide

Aoide TPF Noob!

Welcome to the forum! Always nice to see another blog addict! :lol: I'm definitely subscribing to the Grammar Blog. That is hilarious. As someone who had to explain to their colleagues what waylaid meant, I definitely understand.

But... I don't follow strict sentence structure around here.... just so you know. :er:

7. jocose

jocose TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I knew nothing about grammar until I started writing my thesis. That isn't to say that I was bad at writing, I just didn't know grammar very well; I wrote by the "it just sounds right" rule. My advisor was a big ole grammar nazi, and I was forced to learn it. I worked very hard at it, and I'm very proud of what I acomplished in one year. I freely admit that I'm an elitist (that's really what grad school teaches you--especially a humanities degree), so you need to give me credit for being up-front about it :)

Working for the gov't really gets me going sometimes...I had a 20 minute conversation with my boss about how to use a colon..erg. My current supervisor told me that I couldn't use sem-colons in letters, and I'm not allowed to use the word "however"--go figure that one out.

Anyway, I pass no judgment on blogs...and rest assured I make NO comments on other people's spelling!

Thanks for the post, and I hope to get out soon and find some more pics to put up on GrammarBlog. The only problem is that I really don't want to post any pics except my own, so I reckon I won't update that one frequently.

I took a quick peak at your Ars Nova site...the candle pics are wonderful...I was actually planning on taking some fire shots tonight; I'm sure they won't turn out as good, but now I have something to strive for :)

8. Aoide

Aoide TPF Noob!

9. jocose

jocose TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    that's friggin' awesome!!! But I would be afraid I would burn/melt the plastic casing on my new camera ;)

Any tips on how to do this? I am thinking of lighting my zippo and going for different angles...

EGADS...I just noticed that this is my 13th post. Oh, no!!

10. Aoide

Aoide TPF Noob!

Have a touch of triskaidekaphobia? :lmao: :lmao:

I'm not sure if you were warned, but this place is addicting. Don't judge by my post count. I'm pretty quiet, so for me to have almost 700 is a testament to TPF. As for the shot, I have no idea how he did it. I'm a beginner and definitely not good at macro, although I love to look at macro shots.

11. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to TPF.

12. jocose

jocose TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Naw, I was just teasing; 13 is just another random number, and being a historian, I'm familiar with the history of Friday the 13th--just dumb luck; it could have been any day.

Yea, so my pics of my zippo blew. What can you do. On the positive side, though, I was using some books as a tripod (I'm a beginner AND poor), and I found a book that's been AWOL for ages!