Today's shots...

Shutterinsect

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Trying out my new lens and used my cheapie telephoto lens. We didn't get to snowshoe, the road up to Seymour was bad :(. Went to Lynn Canyon park instead, then to Fatburger for eats...

DSC_0107.jpg

New lens- I like this one best of the whole bunch

DSC_0024.jpg

New lens

DSC_0071.jpg

Telephoto

DSC_0078.jpg

Telephoto (I hate this photo...I think the horizon is crooked or...something)

DSC_0096.jpg

Boat in the harbour...totally meh...posting it anyway.

I like #1 a lot... very nice, exposure looks spot on.

#2 suffers from exposure problems with the snow, but of course that's not the subject of the photo... pretty good shot, actually.

#3 leaves me thinking "what is it?" I thought camera shake, but the branches are sharp enough.

It's a very fast moving waterfall that was some distance away...none of the photos I got of it "did it for me" it was a very uninspiring day for photography, really, foggy, grey and very blah.

I'm becoming annoyed by my constant habit of putting every subject in the centre, too, I know I shouldn't keep doing it but I can't seem to help it.

It's a very fast moving waterfall that was some distance away...none of the photos I got of it "did it for me" it was a very uninspiring day for photography, really, foggy, grey and very blah.
To me, a waterfall needs perspective... in other words, shot from some kind of distance that lets the viewer understand that it is actually a waterfall. Like this one I shot back in 1987:

710331292_2d9920bbc0_o.jpg

Yeah, I know, there's the lens hood getting into the image at the bottom... not one of my best efforts even back then.

But I show you to illustrate what *I* think is needed for a waterfall.

You can do things that are a little less "traditional" with 'em, too, though (the same waterfall... again, back in 1987, shot on film with my Minolta X-370):

710331632_4b2c4dbd3e_o.jpg

Again, it's just my thoughts on how to shoot a waterfall... not any kind of gospel by any means.

I couldn't get closer or further from it, unfortunately. I was nearly on the suspension foot bridge near the waterfall. Thanks for the info though...it all helps!

I couldn't get closer or further from it, unfortunately. I was nearly on the suspension foot bridge near the waterfall. Thanks for the info though...it all helps!
Since I got the Canon Digital Rebel XS, my wife has taken an interest in photography... so we got her a Nikon L16 as a "starter" camera...

I have explained to her that it doesn't matter if I like the shot... if *she* likes it, it's a good photo.

She's taking some actually good photos... and learning about exposure and composition. She learned about when to use flash, or to adjust the flash mode...

We all learn, and none of us takes the perfect shot every time. I've been playing in photography for over 20 years, with a significant break in the time I spent pursuing it... but I still learn all the time, especially with this new camera... what it can do, what it can't.

So always take any criticisms here in the spirit intended... and keep in mind that if you like the image, it's a good image.

Most reactions

Back