toe to toe

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by cypilk, May 23, 2004.

1. cypilk

cypilk TPF Noob!

again...weak scanner.. =(

[​IMG]

2. Rainman

Rainman TPF Noob!

I claim no expertise in critiquing, but I do love this image on several levels.

1. I have an affinity for photos of translucent things with backlighting AND clear things with backlighting.

2. I like the way the unfrosted bishop pops out. It makes it more menacing.

3. A viewer who knows anything about chess will know that one of these bishops is about to capture the other which adds tension.

3. drlynn

drlynn TPF Noob!

Nice shot. I like the dof you chose for this image. It makes the conflict stand out to have the other pieces blurred into the background.

The shot has great tension. A follow-up shot of one standing over it's fallen foe would make an interesting display in matched frames hanging together.

4. aggiezach

aggiezach Yup...

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree, I thinkg the DOF is wonderful as is the shot itself. If I had to critique something I would say maybe include the corner of the chess board. Its kinda just cut off. Although the shot is stunning and I really wouldn't change it at all. Nice work!!! :D

5. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Needs more contrast, although that's a typical scanner issue. At least with my cheapo scanner.

I think that including more or all of the corner in the foreground would create a more dynamic composition, possible increasing the tension between the pieces.

I like how you've used the short DOF to emphasize the main subjects. I think they need to switch places though. The clear piece looks much sharper, but I think that this is just an optical illusion. It can stand out better against a background of out of focus pieces. The frosted piece is sort of blending in with the background pieces. It might stand out better against an empty area of background.

I would also be interested in seeing a shot where the DOF and focus are adjusted so that the farthest pieces in the background had more shape, similar to the pieces that are more in the middle. The patterns of similar shape could make the background seem more two dimensional, which should make the subject peices look even more 3D and sort of pop out at the viewer.

Anyway, just my flavor.

6. cypilk

cypilk TPF Noob!

yeah... in the real picture..the contrast is...real good...you can really see black as BLACK..and white as WHITE>.... also... in the real picture, it does look like both of the bishops are clear...and the rest blurry... so... sorry about the weak scanner... i just wanted to see what you guys thought heh... maybe i should get a scanner =)