Tokin 16-50 f2.8

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by R6_Dude, Feb 8, 2010.

1. R6_Dude

R6_Dude TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Searched and not many have used this lens, should I assume it is not a good lens?

I am thinking about getting it as it almost perfectly fits my needs. I was about to pick up the 11-16 f2.8 when I came across this lens.

It is $50 cheaper and provides a focal length that I think will be almost universal for me to use.

However, my main purpose in getting a wide angle lens is to take great landscape shots, will I be disappointed with this lens? I know the 11-16 is super wide and I will probably be very happy with it, but I am trying to kill two birds with one stone. The 16-50 will provide a wide angle (but will it be wide enough?) for landscapes and the 2.8 and the zoom will allow me to use it for indoor pictures.

Advice? Tips? Recommendation? Will be shooting with a Canon T1i.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. LuckySo-n-So

LuckySo-n-So TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you are looking in that general focal range, I would suggest the Sigma 18-50 2.8. It is probably one of the best lenses price-wise on the market. It's around $400 (I think--bought mine almost a year ago).

Some reviews show that it is as good as the Nikon equivalent.

3. R6_Dude

R6_Dude TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ^^^ I want to go wider than 18mm. I believe that 2mm wider is a 7 degree difference diagonally. I just brought this lens up b/c I was trying to get a lens that I can get both landscapes as well as use indoors.

4. windcoastphotography

windcoastphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Personally if I wanted wider, I would go with the sigma 10-20mm, or the canon 10-22. I am not quite sold on Tokina yet, I may be wrong though. I have used the 10-20 and the 10-22 many times and they are wonderful for landscape. I try not to have multi purpose lenses though, I find you will always loose some aspect of quality when lenses have multiple applications. The only thing you can really do is try them. It comes down to how the lens feels in your hand.

5. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The reason you don't see much about the Tokina 16-50 f2.8 is because it is optically inferior to the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and Sigma 18-50 f2.8 and the Tokina is substantially more expensive. The only thing the Tokina has over those other two is build quality and 1-2mm wider. I have the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and love it. I've used it for many landscape shots and haven't been dissapointed yet.

6. R6_Dude

R6_Dude TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have also read the reviews on both the Tamron and Sigma, you are correct, people who own them are very happy with it. Also, I don't want the 18mm b/c my kit lens is already (granted its not at f2.8) and 17 isn't much of a difference. Trying to get my money's worth haha.

Can you post any landscape shots with your Tamron? I have been trying to find comparison pictures with the Tokina.
    When you say optically inferior, do you mean the Tokina pics will come out much softer?

Being that BH is out of stock on the 11-16 f2.8, with no expected date of re-stocking, I am really considering this lens.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  7. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would like to see where you come up with the idea that the Tokina is optically inferior. I have not personally seen that. As a matter of fact, everything I have read about it is positive.

Personally, I think that Tokina is less well known just because of a lack of advertisement and market share. Unless you have some sort of proof it's like saying the only reason Pentax is not as well known is because they are inferior and so people don't use them.

8. R6_Dude

R6_Dude TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Anymore feedback?

I did more research and I have seen some bad reviews and some good reviews. There was a pretty good review on flickr, but that left me even more confused! haha. Those that are against it, recommends the Tamron 17-50 f2.8.
    Those that were for it, says the only problem is the vignetting, but it can be fixed in PP, how do you fix vignetting?

Heres my dilemma now.
    The Tokina is an extra 1mm wider and priced at $549.
    The Tamron is 1mm narrow and priced at $649 (VC version)
    I found a few used Canon 17-55 f2.8 for about ~$800 - $850.

If I buy the Tamron, I might as well shell out a couple of hundred and get the Canon right? Or I can use that extra $200 on a tripod.
    Is the Tamron really worth the extra $100, with a more narrow focal length (i know its only 1mm).

Advice?

9. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

What about the non-VC version of Tamron?

10. R6_Dude

R6_Dude TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The non-VC version is at a great price. $459. But not having the VC is like not having the IS and at 50mm its going to have lots of shakes.

11. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

I have the Tamron, IS/VC is nice to have, but I do not have any issue without it. Of course, if we are talking about 200 to 300mm range, that's a different story.

12. PackingMyBags

PackingMyBags TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Tamron 17-55 non VR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]