Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 for Canon 1300D - Notice a half oval shape shadow (small) with flash click

Subhrajit Das

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently purchased Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 lens for my 1300D Cannon SLR. I notice a half oval shape shadow (small) in the bottom line of the picture is coming when I click any photo with flash. I have tried click without lens hood but it is still coming. The clear photo is only coming if I click photo without flash. If I zoom the lens till 16mm and click with flash then a tiny shadow appears. Without flash, it is working perfectly fine. One of my friend experience the same issue with canon 70-300mm lens.

Can anyone help me how to fix this shadow issue? Is this a flash problem or will I need to check my camera to service centre? Or is this a manufacture issue with EOS 1300D? Please help.

use a speedlight instead of the pop-up flash.

Your flash is not wide enough to cover the area your lens does, hence you are getting underexposure on the outer part of photo, as suggested above use a speedlight, but this is why

Thanks for your response. My friend is using Nikon camera with same lens and he did not find this kind of issue. So, is this a canon common flash issue? I am worried that, I am planning to buy Tamron 150-600mm and I might get same issue then :( ?

possibly worse with that lens, lol.

Basically,
the Popup flash height is not high enough.
Since it is not high enough you are getting a shadow from the lens. It will vary dependent upon the camera and how high the popup flash is and how long the lens is extended.

By adding a Speedlight you'll get the flash part *much* higher and will be able to properly expose the entire subject even with such a long lens, with or without a hood.

Basically,
the Popup flash height is not high enough.
Since it is not high enough you are getting a shadow from the lens. It will vary dependent upon the camera and how high the popup flash is and how long the lens is extended.

By adding a Speedlight you'll get the flash part *much* higher and will be able to properly expose the entire subject even with such a long lens, with or without a hood.

I got your point, thanks. So, if anyone go with Canon SLR instead of Nikon, then extra money will be gone from his/her pocket to buying a speedlight / external flash to resolve this issue? Can you tell me which canon SLR model dose not have this kind of inbuilt defects.

It's not a defect.
You have to check the over all design. Different models will be different.

The Nikon may be higher. I know the d7x00 series the popup flash is taller than on the cheaper models. It's based on the design of how long the viewfinder box thing is thus how long they make the popup flash pop up.

As you get closer to a subject the angle from a popup flash, to a lens can create a shadow area. It's all based on the angle from the flash to the total subject. If you step back, further away, that would also resolve the problem.

It's not a defect.
You have to check the over all design. Different models will be different.

The Nikon may be higher. I know the d7x00 series the popup flash is taller than on the cheaper models. It's based on the design of how long the viewfinder box thing is thus how long they make the popup flash pop up.

As you get closer to a subject the angle from a popup flash, to a lens can create a shadow area. It's all based on the angle from the flash to the total subject. If you step back, further away, that would also resolve the problem.

Thanks for the explanation. Just to be make sure that we are all in same page, I am uploading a picture which I clicked with flash. I hope it will be resolve if I plug with an external flash ? Kindly confirm so that I can plan for purchase an external flash.

with flash click.png

That looks to be a problem we are defining. To clarify, you can get this on EVERY camera with a lens that sticks out and a popup flash. Whether it's a DSLR or Bridge camera, etc.

To test this, just take a business card, paper plate, piece of paper or anything solid white and use as a reflector. Place it up front and up from the popup to reflect light into the shadow area.

A speedlight simply puts the flash higher up so that the angle to the lens isn't so shallow. So when you do a shot like this the light has more spread without something (the lens) in it's way.

You can experiment with your hand to block the light too, just like doing shadow puppets.

Thanks for your help. Today I have tried with flash diffuser and I got positive result. Can you guide me if I plan for the
"Digitek Flash DFL-200T PRO-089IRT-C" external flash for my dslr. I don't want to invest more for my basic camera.

I don't know much about cheap flashes. I know the better Yongnuos are really good. My flashes are all OEM but I have Nikon stuff.

Most reactions

Back