tokina 11-16mm :)

johan.sie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi guys :)

So, after debating between the sigma 10-20mm and the ultra-rare tokina 11-16mm ... i dived on the latter one. It is on a nation-wide backordered and somehow someone linked me to Arlington Camera. They are dedicated and really awesome, Melanie (their's e-commerce leader) entered me into their waitlist and they received 5 of those lens from Tokina 3 weeks ago :) I got one and I am very very happy about it. Considering even B&H, Adorama etc still in backordered, kudos to Arlington.

I tried the AF mode on D60, it just doesn't work but the manual didn't explained further. I just learnt from the staff that the Tokina won't work on D40, D40x, D60 .. not sure on what reasons, but it does works on higher ends Nikon, like D300 etc. Woohoo .. something I had no idea about when purchasing, anyone ever know about this prior?

No drive screw on d40 d40x d60... It needs a lens with an internal motor (af-s) so I do believe all Tokina's will not work. The D300 has a drive screw so that's why it works on it. I prefer the AF-S (or hsm with my Sigma) because of how quiet they are. I would keep the lens to use on the D300 though, I have the 12-24 and have been VERY happy with the performance. The contrast with mine is outstanding.

hi,

how do you tell from the lens that it would require the AF-s?

i am not sure but my 18-200 is also AF-S nikkor and it works just fine on my d60 though?

It's not the lens that requires the AF-S, it's the D40, D40x and D60 that require it. Other Nikon bodies have AF motors in them, so they can AF with any lens (except of course full MF lenses), but since the D60 has no such motor, it needs a lens with a built-in motor to autofocus. In the case of Nikon, these are indicated with AF-S, and in the case of Sigma it's HSM. As far as I know, Tokina still needs to implement AF motors in their lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back