Tokina 11-20mm F/2.8 vs other wide angle lenses

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking for a wide angle lens and leaning towards the Tokina AT-X 11-20mm F/2.8 or Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX II AF 11-16mm f/2.8 lens

I am not sure if this lens is right for me because of the f/2.8

I can see this very handy for night landscape and shooting indoor rooms in dim light (which i will do)

but i have a passion for landscape photography (mountains,waterfalls, open fields) so wouldn't the f2.8 blur things in foreground and background? and let too much light in? and if not should i just use a filter to make up for the wide aperture in daylight?

What can you suggest? this lens is about my budget at this stage but open for suggestions and willing to save extra if the extra money will give me a much better lens.

and what about the sigma 10-20 f3.5 EX DC HSM?

I i have been using the 650d science release and iam going to upgrade my body and thinking about getting the 80d or 7d mark 2.

Having f2.8 is great. Don't worry about letting in to much light or having to much out of focus.

All lenses can be controlled by your camera, so even though it's f2.8 you can shoot at f3.2, 3.5, 4 all the way to f16 or f22 or even f32 on some lenses therefore controlling amount of light and depth of field

Just because a lens is a f2.8 doesn't mean you have to shoot at f2.8.
Lens-Aperture-Numbers.jpg

How it relates to DOF.
Aperture Range.jpg

Last edited:
What they said- just close down the aperture setting.

I have the tokina 11-16 dx and it's perfect for night photography, but very prone to flare/ghosting in bright sunlight.

Thank you that helps allot. I understand what aperture does but i was not sure how it works when you have a lens that has a fixed aperture number in the stats. Or does the fixed aperture mean that the 2.8 is consistent from 11-20mm?
But this post helped allot and i am on my way getting the AT-X 11-20mm F/2.8.

Thank you that helps allot. I understand what aperture does but i was not sure how it works when you have a lens that has a fixed aperture number in the stats. Or does the fixed aperture mean that the 2.8 is consistent from 11-20mm?
Yes

Small number = large opening. You can use aperature priority setting (A) and then set the iso and use the wheel to change the time the shutter is open for.
The listed apperature of a lens is the largest opening it offers.

Just ordered the The Tokina AT-X 11-20mm F/2.8 PRO D. cant wait to get my hands on the lens and use it. I always wanted to do some night landscape (with moon and stars ) photography and hopefully the 2.8 aperture will help me achieve this allot better. I will get back to you guys and let you know how i go :1247:

From what I have read, it is a good quality, highly regarded lens. Sure you will enjoy it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back