Tokina 12-24 DX

greybeard

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently upgraded from DX to FX. I have a Tokina 12-24 DX f/4.0 that I was considering selling. Today I mounted it on my D750, set the ISO to Auto and the exposure to Manual. I shot a picture of my small shop as there is just a ton of small things with a lot of detail. Even though the lens is DX it covers the full frame from 19-24 but I wanted to see how it would do. Here is a shot at 19mm f/4.0, ISO 1800, and 1/100th. I think I'll keep it.

Attachments

• Shop Pic 12-24 @ 19mm ISO 1800 f-4.0.jpg
    913.5 KB · Views: 229
19mm is pretty wide. My UWA is 18-35 on the D750 so you're in good company and all set.
And you don't have to buy another lens.

It alwayyyys pays to test things out!

Wondering if it might give even more near/far creative apparent perspective distorion at 16 or 17mm, using the 5:4 (aka 8x10) aspect ratio that some of the FX Nikons bodies offer in-camera. or maybe allow you to shoot even shorter, like 16mm or 15mm, in 5:4 aspect? And get that crazzzzzy near/far "look" that only an UW lens gives?

Some lenses designed for DX cameras WILL fill the entire 24x36 capture area, the 3:2 ratio; some will completely fill the 5:4 aspect ratio; and of course, if you shoot your FX Nikon in DX-crop mode, then the 12-24 will handle that A-Okay, no issues.

If there is no 5:4 in-camera aspect option on your Nikon camera, you could always shoot in FX 3:2 aspect, and CROP out the darker edges!

The D750 has the FF 36x24, a 1.2x 30x20 and the 1.5x 24x16 for photos. For video it's more cropped top/bottom for more width for TV.
Never knew that until I just looked.

I really like the 5:4 aspect ratio, in-camera...crops off those un-needed edges for tall portraits, or for conventional 4x5 or 8x10 prints. To me, the 3:2 width-to-height ratio is just "not the best" for many pictures...too wide, not tall enough, or too skinny, AND too tall!

Last edited:
Yep, I remember hearing about that. From what I've seen, it's usable from 16-24mm on full frame. Of course 16mm might have some vignetting though. I should have kept mine honestly for as little as I sold it for. I could have had a wide angle lens when I switched to full frame. Oh well. I like my 16-35 now anyways.

Another thing I did with it, but didn't take any test shots yet, was to mount it with a 1.4 Kenko converter. That makes it a 16.8 - 36.somthing.

Most reactions

Back