Tokina AT-X 11-20mm - New APSC - What for?

LifeORiley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What is the future of APSC lenses ? As gently used FF cameras are coming available at less than a thousand dollars.......this lens release is a little confusing from a business standpoint.

I'm a DX shooter and dumped all my DX lenses but one (35mm 1.8G).

What do you guys think?....

There's still a market for them. A lot of new photographers don't know or care about having a FF sensor. Or people that aren't new photographers who would rather have a crop sensor. I also know photographers who like to set up a crop sensor camera for timelapse while they shoot still photos. Updating the 11-16 with a few extra mm also gives a selling point, even if I do find it a little pointless.

Ultra-wide-angle lenses are one type that still needs to be exclusive to each sensor format. While there are many such lenses with wide aperture for full-frame DSLRs (e.g. Nikon 14–24mm f/2.8, Canon 16–35mm f/2.8), there aren't many available for the APS-C-format DSLRs. Tokina is basically the only manufacturer making such lenses, and from my understanding, they're selling pretty well. Extending the long end of the zoom range to 20mm basically lets the photographer use that lens more, without constantly switching between it and a more modestly-wide-angle lens for different composition and perspective opportunities.

If I had an APS-C-format DSLR, I probably would not buy this lens, or its predecessor, simply because I personally don't need an f/2.8 maximum aperture in those focal lengths. There are, however, many who do—mostly astro-landscape photographers.

Future for APSC is fine at the moment. Geeze... Until FX $$$ = DX $$$, DX isn't going anywhere.

I bought a Tokina 11-16 2.8 II. Love it. Bought it for vacations when I found 24mm on my D7k wasn't enough at the Grand Canyon. I also use it at parties for fun shots. I'm not going to bother trading up to the 11-20 especially a before any reviews are out.

Sent from my iPhone using Telekenisisisisis

Will 11-16 shooters buy it? Probably not. I have their 12-24 f/4.0 and have not intention of buying it.

Most reactions

Back