tokina

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Greg Oden, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Greg Oden

Greg Oden TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    i recently purchased the D90 and i want i a few good lenses to go with it. im looking at the tokina 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 AT-x PRO D AUTO FOCUS LENS. $600 on amazon. is that a good lens for the price. im into shooting wildlife. i dont want to spend money on the camera and then go cheap with the lens.....unless i can get away with it.

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I don't have firsthand knowledge of it; reviews seem to indicate it's good, but not great. My concern would be that this is a fairly slow lens. Maybe have a look at eBay and try for a used 400mm f3.5 which can be found for somewhere in the $1500 range.

3. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

From its specs and reviews I think it's an ok lens. To think of it this way, its a jack of all trades. A very big zoom range. It's not particallarly great at any one setting. But you will get decent pictures. I have never used it so I can't say I like it or dislike it. But I can say I have borrowed a Sigma 50-500 and its well worth the money. But its double what your considering at the moment. $1,150 or so. The Sigma has a very good reputation. I am talking the Sigma 50-500 is the good one, I used to own the Sigma 170-500 and sold it within 6 months didn't care for it.

4. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've used the Tokina 80-400 and I absolutely love it. I have to head out to work now, but will post some sample pictures from it later tonight.

5. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here's some sample images from the Tokina 80-400, as shot with my Canon Rebel XT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Greg Oden

Greg Oden TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks for the advice everyone i really appreciate it. great pics too. those are the type of pictures i will be shooting so that helps a bunch. how close to that yak(?) were you when you shot that pic? just curious

7. Tolyk

Tolyk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was about 10 to 15 feet, shot at around 150mm on that shot. The duck was shot at 400mm