Tombstone Snow - 1st shot posted!

Hanley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So it's my first shot posted on this site, dont really have the resources here at my diposal (working reception ahah and this is what i do all day) just what is on photobucket. Yeah i am using a S2000HD Fujifilm camera and give me some CnC!
_DSC4108copy.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know... for me, personally there's a lot going on but I'm not sure what I should be focusing on, and I'm not really sure what the shot is trying to convey. The tombstone, which is in the name, is barely even in the shot.

Didn't work for me personally... I would think more about what your subject is and try to put that at a point of interest in the frame.

Personal opinion, of course.

Welcome to TPF, btw.

I don't know... for me, personally there's a lot going on but I'm not sure what I should be focusing on, and I'm not really sure what the shot is trying to convey. The tombstone, which is in the name, is barely even in the shot.

Didn't work for me personally... I would think more about what your subject is and try to put that at a point of interest in the frame.

Personal opinion, of course.

couldnt think of a name really it was a knocked over plant of flowers infront of a monsterous tombstone. but thanks for the advice. gotta start somewhere.

well considering that there was to much going on i thought this was a more contained photo. Let me know which one is better.

_DSC4228.jpg

I think this might have worked if you cropped out more of the foreground, like up to the front of the top step where the vase is, and then showed more of the tombstone. I'd also have centered it a bit more so the stones in the back didn't show.

I really like the lighting in the second picture, but what is it a picture of?? I've been looking at it ages and i still cant figure it out:lol:

The first one lost my attention fairly quickly, but I kept looking . For me, there's not enough detail in the background although there might be some intersting finds. However the snow it making it too difficult. If you have another opportunity i the snow (this just off the top of my head.... we don't get much snow here) try a faster shutter.. not too much, but enough allow some blur but shorter streaks. Secondly try covering the lens from above by a foot or more so that you don't have those flakes right at the lens. IMO they look bad. Just rolled back up.... shutter speed may be okay, but the close flakes are what's throwing me off. Selective coloring.... meh.

The second shot isn't complete. You cut off the top of the handle and the bottom is too dark to see. It looks like it was lit by your car's headlamps. This has thrown your white balance off a bit and it also blew out detail in the vertical pipe. I'm really interested in the wood in the background. Looks like it could make for some pretty cool patterns and textures.

Win some, loose some. Keep shooting and keep posting. :biggrin:

I like the first one a lot. Was that taken in Canada? (Russian text on the tombstones...)
Kinda reminds me of something out of Sin City (movie).
(I LOVE the streaked snow. Wouldn't be the same if it was a shorter exposure...)

The second one isn't very interesting to me...

However the snow it making it too difficult.

For me, the snow is what makes it work. I love the streaked snow - I can't describe why, but I think it's awesome. I think it gives it a slight surreal quality.

Last edited:
thanks for the insights everyone and the critism i enjoy it actually ahah.

Please make sure you can differentiate between ciritism & critique. Critique is impersonal, IMO.

You know, I actually didn't realize there was a big tombstone in that first shot- i only saw the one off to the left.

You know, I actually didn't realize there was a big tombstone in that first shot- i only saw the one off to the left.

it was massive like 15 feet high, and 10 feet wide and steps up to it! CRAZY

" I like the first one a lot. Was that taken in Canada? (Russian text on the tombstones...)
Kinda reminds me of something out of Sin City (movie).
(I LOVE the streaked snow. Wouldn't be the same if it was a shorter exposure...)"

Canada :D and it was ukranian i beilive

Most reactions

Back