Tommy_Boy pics

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Tommy_Boy, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Tommy_Boy

Tommy_Boy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everyone, I would like to present You some of my photos. Photography has been one of my interests for quite a while, but I've been an active "photographer" since June. I know that I'm new at this, but I hope that thanks to Your C&C's and pieces of advice I will get better and better :)

I am currently trying to find myself in the world of photography, so I try to take photos of everything that I find interesting. For my first presentation I would like to show You a couple of Black & White and Sepia photos.

1. Statue I
    [​IMG]
    By tomzdul at 2009-10-30

2. Statue II
    [​IMG]
    By tomzdul at 2009-10-30

3. Lion
    [​IMG]
    By tomzdul at 2009-10-30

4. The Way
    [​IMG]
    By tomzdul at 2009-10-30

5. Graveyard
    [​IMG]
    By tomzdul at 2009-10-30

Cheers,
    Tommy_Boy

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum Tommy!

C&C per req:

You've got some very interesting photos here. My main crtique point relates to exposure. I'm guessing that #s 1 and 2 were shot from some distance away, so lighting will be a challenge, but there are always options. In #1, you have deep shadows image left and blown sky image right. You could have either used a graduated ND filter to even out the exposure or perhaps considered an HDR. In #2 (which I really like) you've got some over-bright highlights which are somewhat distracting. This I think could have been resolved by simply exposing for the highlights and using levels/curves adjustments to bring the rest of the image into correct exposure.

In #3, your meter was once again fooled by the brigthness of the sky, resulting in a severly undereposed statue. Fill light would have worked well here, or perhaps an HDR. I think too a slightly different perspective, more 3/4 rather than quite so side-on and perhaps (if possible) from the other side to include the person, would have helped.

#4 I'm not finding very interesting. The buildings on their own could be. I like the monon conversion and exposure, but the large dark area of the statue is too distracting.

#5 - This could have been really interesting, but the extreme exposure latitude doesn't work for me. Some mild fill-flash to illuminate the foreground stone, and MUCH less on the background stones would have produced a winner.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

3. bhphotography

bhphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The only thing that really stands out to me is that #1, and #2 aren't level. Just something that I notice, but I really like the look of your photos! A quick straighten would improve them!

4. JayCanon

JayCanon TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think these images really show your creativity and artistic ability. You certainly have a good understanding of what it takes to make a quality image.

The sky is pretty wild in image #1! It's tough to say if there was any more detail to be captured in the highlights there. If not, then I would have went with a slightly brighter exposure.

#2 stands out to me as the best of the bunch. Of the 5 you posted, this one has the best exposure. If anything, it's just a bit overexposed in a few areas.

#3 is too dark, in my opinion. I feel it would have been better if it was either totally dark - a full silhouette, or exposed brighter and more evenly.

#4 has great composition. The fact that you got a complete silhouette of the man while properly exposing the building makes it very well done. The only minor nitpick I would have with this one is the angle of the statue of the man in the frame. Yes, the arm and pointing finger imply that it is a man, but if it weren't for the arm, it would just be an unidentifiable black object. If you could have slightly changed position to get a better profile of the shape of the man, it would have been outstanding.

#5 is my least favorite, but not bad. There are too many over and under exposed areas, and there really isn't a definite subject.

I think all of these show your great potential. It's scary to think of how good you will be with more experience under your belt.
    :thumbup:

5. CCarsonPhoto

CCarsonPhoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Love the first two. Have to second what most everyone else said about the rest though. Good job! :thumbsup:

6. Tommy_Boy

Tommy_Boy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank You very much for all Your comments, it means a lot to me.

While I was browsing through all my pictures I found a couple of more, that I would like to show You. These were taken in Dublin. C&C are, as usual :), most welcome.

1. The Long Walk
    [​IMG]
    By tomzdul at 2009-11-01

2. Hope
    [​IMG]
    By tomzdul at 2009-11-01

3. Up there
    [​IMG]
    By tomzdul at 2009-11-01

4. Awaiting
    [​IMG]
    By tomzdul at 2009-11-01

Soon I will be posting some pics in color:)

Cheers,
    Tommy_Boy

7. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Pay attention to your backgrounds.

8. JayCanon

JayCanon TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    +1

The first 3 have poles that shouldn't be in the frame. The fourth one would look better with the background more drastically blurred, or better yet, shot from a slightly different angle with less going on in the background.

I still like them all though, and I'm enjoying your work!

9. Tommy_Boy

Tommy_Boy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi there, me again:)

Once more, thanks for all Your comments, they're really helpful. Meanwhile I decided to post all my photos here, so that everything will be in order. As I said, this time I'll be posting some pics in color - I've found some pictures of flowers so enjoy:) As usual, C&C's are most welcome:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Tommy_Boy

10. Tommy_Boy

Tommy_Boy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh and I found two more,