Too Dark?

FuryofNature

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.furyofnaturephotography.com
This photo is really dark. But I like the way the red light in the back comes through and makes like a sihlohette kinda effect. Is it too dark for this to work? Or does it work even though its dark?

Ben.jpg

I think the darkness and red tone make this photo stand out actually. Rather than his face being the point of interest (which I believe it would be if it were brighter), my focus points more to the overall situation the photo was taken in and gives me a great feel for the event. Nice job!

Chase said:
I think the darkness and red tone make this photo stand out actually. Rather than his face being the point of interest (which I believe it would be if it were brighter), my focus points more to the overall situation the photo was taken in and gives me a great feel for the event. Nice job!

i agree.
how about posting one 1/2 step or so lighter just for comparison.

Too dark for me; all we have of the singer's face is a black shape of mouth, the black shape of the mic and the black shape of the mic's shadow covering the rest of the face.

I like a darkened image sometimes, but in this case, for me, some detail in the singer's face would give this shot a lot more character. Is it possible to lighten enough to at least omit the mic's shadow? :)

I like the movement of the guitar, and agree the halo of red light around the head is very effective. :thumbup:

I understand what you were going for here, but I still think its too dark. I think if you can alleviate some of the shadow on the face and some mic shadow, you would get a better shot. Try giving it a little PS love and see if you can lighten it up just a little.

sorry, if you have PS CS, use the shadow/highlight option.

not bad! try this: mask off the highlights in the hair and inverse the selection...then perform the same shadow/highlight adjustments to the remaining. this will give you the adjusted overall level changes without blowing out the hair. :)

I agree...1/2 stop would be perfect...

(Is that John Mayer?)

Most reactions

Back