Too many cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desert Rose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well actually you can never have too many cameras, but this year I got too many of the same 2 cameras. I was given 4 D500's and 2 D5's this year by various clients and friends I have worked with this year. Even I don't like having too many of the same models so I gave away 2 of the D500's and a D5 to family members and one D500 to a local charity.

I kept one of each as I already had one of each model in inventory and thought it wouldn't hurt to keep a back up or lens holder of each one just in case.

Happy New Year, all. :)

Generous to you and your clients/friends. In general, those aren't cheap original purchases. I had to buy mine.

Those are quite high end priced items to get 6 cameras like that all at once - some very generous clients and friends - I doubt many people here ever get close to that kind of situation. Still least you can keep a few for backups and then sell the others on for other equipment - no shame in that.

Brag%20or%20Complain.jpg

I thought about switching to Canon...
I wouldn't get rid of the Nikon gear you have but if you want to try Canon why would you have to get rid if it anyways, just add a Canon to your lineup.
I have a few Nikons, a couple Canons, a Sony, a Samsung, a couple Fujis, and a few other assorted bodies and lots of lenses for all.
I have never seen the sense in getting rid of gear to buy new gear. It's like books, just add more to the collection and buy bigger shelves.

A bit skeptical about anyone being given 10K in bodies in one year. Call me cynical but this story sounds a little tall in the tail.

A bit skeptical about anyone being given 10K in bodies in one year. Call me cynical but this story sounds a little tall in the tail.
It's all true... Just ask my wife... Morgan Fairchild. Ya, that's the ticket...

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Lol funny comments here. Thanks for those they made me chuckle because there are people that actually think that way.

Being a woman, I don't have a wife but my husband also got a laugh out of the Fairchild joke.

Anyways I got pulled away before I could finish my thought here yesterday.
The point I wanted to make is that even though I received other cameras as accessories for Christmas the duplication of these 2 models seemed to be more than a fluke.
To me it seems like these cameras must be the most gifted of this year. That is given as gifts most often, so it made me wonder if sales people are just pushing them harder than other models in the line to non photographers or if there is another reason.
How many folks here received either of these cameras for Christmas this year? Was it an asked for by you gift or was it what the giver thought was a good choice on their own or with salesmen's help?

Being a woman, I don't have a wife but my husband also got a laugh out of the Fairchild joke.

I try not to judge. :)

Anyways I got pulled away before I could finish my thought here yesterday.
The point I wanted to make is that even though I received other cameras as accessories for Christmas the duplication of these 2 models seemed to be more than a fluke.

Naturally I can't speak for everybody here but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that folks seem to fall all over themselves to give you such expensive, high end cameras as gifts. Sounds a lot like a guy who used to post here who talked about how he used to make a ton of money shooting expensive houses from a helicopter and then going to the people's door and selling them outrageously priced prints. He used to talk a lot about this incredibly expensive 16,000+ lens he owned, what a phenomenal photographer he was, etc...

And yet like you he never once posted a picture, provided a link so anyone could see his work, etc. Just didn't pass the sniff test I'm afraid.

How many folks here received either of these cameras for Christmas this year? Was it an asked for by you gift or was it what the giver thought was a good choice on their own or with salesmen's help?

I guess I hang out with the wrong crowd or something. Nobody I know spends $6500 on me for Christmas, and I think if they did they'd probably stop and ask first, hey, do you actually need one of these because if not I'd hate to blow a small fortune on something your just going to end up giving away.

Lol funny comments here. Thanks for those they made me chuckle because there are people that actually think that way.

You find it surprising that people are disbelieving of someone who gets nearly £18,000 worth of gifts at Christmas? Because yeah that is quite a vast figure for most people in the world - heck its likely close to their annual wage. Sure there's a tiny number who live in a world where that is a drop in the ocean but that's far from the normal - although even more abnormal (I would say) is having clients pay that much as a gift to a photographer. You might get a client pay that much once as a golden-hand-shake at the end of tenure but most clients would only shell out that much on needed equipment for a specific shoot (even then they'd be more likely to rent than buy).

So you are indeed the abnormal here living in a world of high money far beyond most peoples dreams - or you are making it up. Either or doesn't really matter which way...

Sorry, they are bit out of the $50 gift budget we have around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back