Too Many Choices!!! Uhg...Please Help!!

Which Do you Prefer?

• Total voters

krmoon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I've decided to buy a Nikon D70...ok easy part done.... The hard part is that there are just too many package options... I need to take portraits and city shots (night)....Here are the packages that I found....please help!!!

FROM WOLF:
Package Contents:
- D70 Digital SLR Camera Body
- Sigma 28-80mm Autofocus Lens
- Sigma 70-300mm Autofocus Lens
$1299.90

ON EBAY:
Package Contents:
- D70 Digital SLR Camera Body
- Sigma 28-80mm Autofocus Lens
- Sigma 100-300mm II Super Lens??
- High Resolution Wide Angle Lens ??
-+ extras
$1499.00

ALSO FROM WOLF:- D70 Digital SLR Camera Body
- Nikon 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S Lens
$1299.00

My big questions are:
* What is the difference in quality between Sigma and Nikon Lenses??
* What lens do you suggest for city shots at night?

Thank you all so much!

I had the same choices.... I bit the bullet and went with the Nikon Lens pkg for 1299.00. I've owned Nikon equipment for years and have never had an issue.

Nikon lenses, like their cameras are top notch. A camera is only as good as its weakest link, why buy a great camera and put a cheap lens on it?

just my .02

Just because it says "Nikon" on the lens doesn't mean it's top-o-the-line. Nor does the word "Sigma" mean inferior. From model to model quality can vary quite a bit. I'd do research on specific lenses, and see what other folks have to say. Some Nikon lenses are dogs. Some Sigma lenses are gems.

This guy's site has some info on various Nikon lenses (and a lot of other info)

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm

krmoon said:
* What lens do you suggest for city shots at night?

A fast, fixed focal length lens. Something f/2.8 or faster. Zooms this fast will be quite expensive. Fixed focal length lenses will be much cheaper.

In my opinion I would definitely go for the Nikons if you can afford them.

I liken it to my sound system. Most of the electronics are pretty basic now. I put my money into the best speakers I can afford.

Some Nikon lenses are dogs. Some Sigma lenses are gems.

You can get a Cadillac that's a lemon, you can get a Kia that's great...but through my 30+years of professional experience I have found Nikon to be far superior to other equipment when comparing equivalents.

Out of those packages I'd go with Nikon lens package, because of the wider angle lens. It all depends on what you want to shoot. A 28-80mm lens is not very wide on a 1.6x crop DSLR.

SWFLA1 said:
I have found Nikon to be far superior to other equipment when comparing equivalents.

I wish that were the case with the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 I just bought. I thought maybe I had a lemon until I went out and searched for reviews. General opinion seems to suggest that the model is a dog, at least compared to other manufacturers' 50mm f/1.4 lenses, or even the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 (which goes for about one third of what the f/1.4 goes for). I need a 50mm f/1.4 Super Takumar (Pentax) with a Nikon mount :wink:

Most reactions

Back