Too many choices!!!

CMOS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just beginning to look for a camera, and I am completely overwhelmed with the number of choices. So, I'm looking for some help.

1st, some background on me and why I want to buy a camera:

- Last time I did any semi serious photography, everything was film.
- I mostly shot with medium and large format cameras, but did do some 35 mm.
- My wife participates in athletic events (mostly triathlons, so frames per second is an issue especially during the bike) for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society, and I want to be able to record her efforts and those of her teammates.
- Quality equipment has always been important to me, but I'd rather not be spending $7000 on a camera; at this point anyway.

I've looked (on the Internet) at Nikons and Canons, but like I said, it is overwhelming out there. I really could use some guidance.

Look forward to you responses -

CMOS

2-3K. But I could be persuaded to go higher if necessary.

Do you want to go with film or digital? Or both?

Rob .... Budget - 2000 to 3000 US.

Big Mike .... Digital only

Well you are definitely in the price range for a Digital SLR. Which is good because a DSLR is much, much better than a digital point & shoot.

Canon & Nikon are the leaders, as you know. Pentax, Sigma & some others make DSLRs as well but unless you have an investment in their lenses, I'd stick with Canon or Nikon. Minolta does/did make some DSLRs but they are selling out to Sony who may or may not continue the format.

So Canon's cameras are the Rebel XT (350D), 20D, 5D...and then the 1 series pro bodies, which are very expensive.

Nikon has the D50, D70s and the new D200. (and pro bodies)

All but one of the above cameras has a sensor that is smaller than 35mm film, which give us the crop factor. That just means that the field of view for a given focal length is different than it would be on a 35mm SLR.

The Canon 5D is what they call Full Frame, the sensor is the same size as 35mm film.

The D200 is the only one with weather sealing, which is typically found on only the high end pro bodies.

As with other formats, the lenses are very important, so it might be wise to allocate a good portion of your budget for one or more good lenses.

You can check the specs of all these cameras at www.dpreview.com

Also, the PMA show is later this month, rumor has it that Canon will introduce a new DSLR to replace the 20D. Something to think about anyway.

As always, it's good to go into a camera shop and try them out. See how they feel. The Rebel XT for example is very light & small, too small for some.

Any of these are great cameras, you will have to figure out which is best for you. Plenty of us have DSLRs and would be happy to answer more specific questions when you have them.

For your budget, the best camera as far as Canon is concerned, is the 5D. It retails at around $3300 US.
However if the continuous shooting is an issue, then the best would be the Canon 20D. The 20D has a burst rate of 5fps compared to only 3fps for the 5D.
If you're completely overwhelmed and getting back into it after years out then the 20D may be a more sensible choice - it's around $1200 - 1300 US and will give great shots as many will testify here. It would allow you to get back into things with a great camera but without breaking the bank before you get to grips with digital.
I'm talking purely from a Canon point of view here because I don't know the Nikon range at all - not because I'm saying Canon are better. I'm sure there are plenty guys will advise you on the Nikon range.

I do have one more question (at least one right now). I was wondering about noise in the image. Does that play a roll with any of the Canons or Nikons? Just wondering if that may be the case when snapping off a bunch of images in a short period of time.

The reason I am asking is that I tried my hand at Astronomical imaging (and may well try it again with whatever SLR I get). Long exposures led to noise from heat build up in some of the chips. As I recall, it can be resolved somewhat with post imaging software, and taking specialized images that the software used to eliminnate the noise. Also using gizmos that cooled the chips helped.

my understanding is that the 20D has some of the lowest noise in the Canon range. I think it'll be difficult to eliminate altogether.
When snapping a range of images in a short time, noise appears if the ISO is very high but again....I don't think there's anyway to completely elimnate it without post processing software.

I don't know which is the best because the type of shooting i do i rarely have noise to deal with.

Sorry to be a pest, however ....

I made a list to use as a guide when talking to the sales person (keeping in mind that one of the primary uses will be taking action shots at Triathlons). Please add anything you think I should ask.

- Frames per second
- Noise
- Dust on sensor .... is this automatically compensated for by the camera (I read somewhere that at least one camera does this and dust can become a problem especially when changing lenses)
- Focus speed
- Lens compatibility (generics, ie Tamron)
- Flash systems and flash synch speed
- Shutter speed
- Best first lens (fixed / zoom / focal length) - I figure one lens now, add more later as the budget recovers.

• I think you'll be hard pushed to find a camera with a burst shooting of more than 5fps as the Canon 20D has.
  • Noise is very well controlled on 20D.
  • The dust on the snsor is a general DSLR issue and not any worse for a particular camera as far as i know.
  • Focus speed will depend on the lens more than the camera
  • Compatibility with generic makes is good
  • Not sure about flash info but sync speed is 1/250 as far as i know
  • Fastest shutter speed on the 20D is 1/8000 of a second
  • For sports shooting a fast lens would be best. Ideall one of the "L" series. The focal length would depend on how close you can get to the action. Bear in mind that the 20D has a 1.6x magnification factor so all focal lengths are multiplied by 1.6

If you were going to talk to a photo sales guy, would there be any other things you would ask them about (other than what I already listed)?

Thx - CMOS

No offence, but I think you may be going about things the wrong way. Salespeople are not always very clued up about the exact specifications, you are better making this list yourself from the manufacturer's website or from dpreview.

Noise is pretty good with both the Canon and Nikon cameras. Look at the samples on dpreview and decide for yourself.

Dust is irrelevant. Be careful where you change your lenses, don't leave bodies on the carpet, dust your house more often! :) The Olympus cameras have an ultrasonic type vibration thing which is supposed to be effective, but just don't get dust there in the first place, or get it professionally serviced annually.

Focus speed depends on the lens you are using more than the body. The motor type, focal length and lighting conditions all affect the time from out of focus to in focus.

Lens compatibility isn't relevant (with canon and nikon). Canon and Nikon have a standard mount. All the third party brands make a Canon and a Nikon mount, so Tamron, Sigma et al will probably make one that fits either brand.

The onboard flashes are approximately equivilent. Adding a manufacturer branded external flash will help a lot - bounce, control, distance, guide number etc. Then it depends what flash you buy - they go from about £50 to about £500 mostly.

Best first lens depends on what you're doing. If it's "art" photography then probably a 50mm f1.8, if it's a bit of everything, the kit lens. If it's only up-close work, then a macro lens, if it's sports, a 100-400 or whatever.

Rob

:hail: Thanks to all who replied. I guess the next step is to head to a camera shop and actually try some equipment.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

Most reactions

Back