Too much "bokeh" effect?

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by RMThompson, May 6, 2007.

1. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Took these with my 50mm 1.8... my wife said the "bokeh" effect is too strong, I didn't add anything to the effect in PP. What do you all think?

Oh and any other C&C would be fine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. boogaguy

boogaguy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Number 3 is best by far.

3. digital flower

digital flower No longer a newbie, moving up!

The b/g on the dog picture is a little distracting but the effect works on the other pictures. I guess takes a little away from #2, did you considered using the burn tool to dampen the highlights in the background. It is a nice picture. On 3 and 4 I prefer the vertical background effect rather than the kind of rounded effect in the first two. The little girl is very photogenic.

4. gmarquez

gmarquez TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think what your wife may not be liking is the "ringged circle" effect in the bokeh highlights. Take a look at some of the highlights in photo #2. The highlights resolve to circles (disks) when they are out of focus. However, they have a bright "ring" around them, which may be a little distraction (attracting attention to the background too much). I've read that the "bright ring" is a function of the lens system, so you may want to try switching lenses and see if your wife likes the bokeh better.

Here is a discussion on bokeh, and what parts of the lens and aperture systems contribute to "good" vs. "bad" bokeh:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/bokeh.shtml