Too much camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Perpetually confused, Dec 13, 2017.

1. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    He will already have a duplicate range situation. His D3100 has the 18-55 and 18-140 lenses, but those are DX lenses, so he would need a different lens to cover the "normal lens" range on the FX D750. Maybe the 24-120.

If you do not keep track of what lenses are DX vs FX, you can get mixed up, and get a DX lens rather than a FX lens.
    Example, there are several 70-300 lenses, of which I think ONE is a DX lens. Worse, I think that DX lens is a P lens, which won't work on the 3100 nor 7100. So he has to make sure to get a FX lens that will work with the older cameras.

Actually for around the house shooting, I would go with the 3100, because it is lighter and more likely to be used more often.
    I speak from having a F2 and not taking it out cuz it was a hassle to pull out the "big" camera for grab shots.
    And today of using my P&S rather than my D7200, cuz the P&S is lighter and easier to use for grab shots.

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I prefer a full-frame d-slr, and have since I got my first one, a Canon 5D, aka 5D "classic". To me, full-frame makes the most sense, because 99 percent of all Nikkor lens models ever designed and made have been for the 24x36mm capture area. There are many,many,many fine Nikkor lenses designed for the 24x36mm size. There are far fewer DX lenses.

On FX (AKA Full-frame), the 24 is wide, the 28 less wide, the 35 semi-normal, the 50mm the normal, the 85mm the short tele, the 105 the portrait tele, the 135 the field tele, and the 70-200 the utility tele-zoom,. and the 24-85 the all-around, does-it-all zoom. On DX, almost all older lenses are a hack...not the best utility, oftentimes the 70-200 is wayyyyyyy too long on DX!

On a DX camera, all of the DX lenses, except for a handful, are second-tier optics.

So...sell the D7100,and keep the D750. Simple decision. Your pictures _might_ benefit by having a better camera, and a better choice of millions of lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    you're thinking too much
    just keep the D750 and take photos

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. lance70

lance70 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The D750 will be better if you push the ISO but for pictures taken with 100 or 400 ISO you won't notice much of a difference....I used the D750 for a year along with a D7000 and people can't tell what camera body I used while using the same glass on both.....When you upgrade your lens then you will see a difference in your images....The D7100 is a great camera.

5. Dean_Gretsch

Dean_Gretsch TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not prying, but have you considered keeping 2 of the 3 bodies? There are instances in shooting wildlife/sports where having 2 different lenses ready to shoot can be a blessing. Great introduction thread btw.

6. Perpetually confused

Perpetually confused TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I am leaning towards keeping the D750 but am going to spend some time over the weekend, and maybe over Christmas, before deciding.

This is one of the concerns I was alluding to in my initial post but maybe didn’t come across so well. If I am taking photos that are in the sweet spot of the D7100 capabilities is the D750 “wasted” on me? Ignoring the additional cost of glass I would need to buy for the D750 to benefit from the full frame body I could add a couple of decent DX lenses for the D7100 for the additional value of the D750 body. I know I said that I wasn’t as concerned about the cost per se but it should always be a consideration unless you literally have money to burn as there is always something else you can spend it on. i.e. if I got a 35mm prime for the D7100 my equivalent focal length would be similar to the D750 with 50mm and give a similar field of view for indoor shooting. I appreciate the D750 has the bigger sensor but in general shooting is it overkill?

I completely get that there are situations when people prefer either FX or DX but given I don’t know where the craft will take me (“general” use and family work is vague I appreciate) does the D7100 provide me with just as good a middle ground for a lot less money?

My wife only wants one as she thinks it is a waste of money to have “two big cameras”. She has a point and shoot and we both have phones so she would see keeping both as gadget-lust overkill

7. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    so it essentially comes down to how much you want to spend in the hobby now and in the future.

you seem to understand, at least in one of your posts, of the advantage of an inbody focus motor in selecting AF-D type lenses to save money if needed.

But if you throw saving $$$ in it then the FX may be too much.
    But then, the FX is much more flexible in general shooting situations due to it's low light flexibility. That won't come into play unless you shoot indoors, indoor/outdoor evenings, night time, etc.

FWIW, I have these lenses
    18-35 AF-D
    24-85 AF-D
    50mm AF-D
    80-200/2.8 AF-D
    150-600 Tamron

I use them interchangably on both DX and FX cameras.
    In the end it comes down to your budget and what you feel comfortable spending overall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. beagle100

beagle100 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

your wife has a point, keeping two big cameras and all the lenses is probably "overkill" - aka GAS "gear acquisition syndrome" ...
    it's up to you to decide what's the best camera gear for your family pics

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless