Too much noise...

aussie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to digital photography and happy owner of D70s. Happy but little disappointed. I've tried to take some pictures of an early and foggy morning. I know that noise is caused by low light, but I've seen much better quality photos. Also bluish cast... Is there any chance to get rid of those problems?
DSC_0001.jpg

hey aussie. welcome to TPF!

to better help us assess your concern, please privide as much technical data as possible i.e., mode you shot in, white balance setting, jpeg/RAW quality, etc. maybe the problem is in camera, maybe not. lets get this info and go from there!

Jon

Technical detail is definitely required here. The level of noise that appears to show in that photo is not typical of a D70 when it is using a low ISO (200) and on the higher quality settings (fine or RAW) as far as resolution.

What ISO were you using and what image quality was it set to? Shooting jpeg or raw?

Have you seen similar noise in other photos you've taken with it?

Chase said:
Technical detail is definitely required here. The level of noise that appears to show in that photo is not typical of a D70 when it is using a low ISO (200) and on the higher quality settings (fine or RAW) as far as resolution.

What ISO were you using and what image quality was it set to? Shooting jpeg or raw?

Have you seen similar noise in other photos you've taken with it?

you know, i would like to see not only the data but a large version also, is that possible?

I've had the same noise issues when shooting fog with my D70. The longer the exposure, the more noise, and it tends to show a lot more prominently in heavily grey areas. I agree with Jon and Chase, show us your EXIF data.

When I shoot fog I usually set the white balance to cloudy, or even shade occasionally. If you shot in RAW you can change the WB in PS, if not, you can use levels to get rid of the blue color cast. I also suggest that you get Neat Image. It's free, incredibly easy to use and very effective.

Thank you for all your comments. It was shot in Compressed RAW(12-bit), Image size : 3008x2000, Lens: 18-70 F/3.5-4.5 G, Focal length: 52mm, with a tripod, Aperture-Priority, F/8-1/2.5sec, Exposure Comp: -0.3 EV, ISO 200, WB: Cloudy, AF Mode: Manual, Long Exposure NR: Off.
I would be happy to show you my original NEFdata but it is too big for the photobucket site.

Regards
Marek

i shoot a D70 - based on the data you provided i offer the following:

1. you selected the right image quality as the camera processed nothing expect compression. using RAW software will help a bunch.

2. ISO is fine

3. nikon recommends that you switch the long exposure NR on when shooting under 1 sec.

4. WB: the cloudy selection is generally used for daylight under cloudy conditions. i've experimented with the WB a lot and have received lots of weird results; hues/colors off etc. unless im in a well controlled lighting environment i leave it on auto.....i seldom have problems....if i do, well thats why we have PS :)

5. tripod was necessary or something stable

6. f/8 is ok

7. exposure compensation is of no consequense as you can adjust that in RAW software.

if you can reshoot, try it with the long exposure NR to on and WB to auto. if you're still getting an off color, play with the levels in your RAW software or PS. if you're still getting too much grain, use 'NEAT IMAGE', i do occasionally and it works wonders. i also feel this image can be repaired to your liking with a little patience in PS. you're shooting digital and unfortunately these are issues to be dealt with now and then.

hope this helps.

I LOVE THIS IMAGE AS IT IS btw!!!!!

turn long exposure noise reduction on. this helps some. atmospheric 'noise' is trickier with digital than film in my book. i've noticed drastic differences between different things like fog, smoke, mist, snow... and when you think about what you are asking the camera to do it makes sense, especally on a long exposure as the atmosphere is constantly in motion which should make everything look softer. an interesting case of what you see is not necessarily what the camera sees.

The "noise" looks good to me. In this image it adds to the mood. There are many images I shoot with digital that I add noise for the various effects it can generate - as well as giving a closer feel to the traditional look of film. Maybe someday we will appreciate noise in some situations just as we used to (and I still do) use grain (less or more) as an integral aspect of the art form of photography.

Nice shot.

Tuna

I agree with turning NR on...especially since there's not much fine detail to be lost. However, maybe it's just my screen, but I find it hard to differentiate noise from fog in this picture because it's low res.

jonmikal says, "nikon recommends that you switch the long exposure
NR 'on' when shooting under 1 sec"

The default setting for NR is OFF meaning shooting with exposures less than
1 sec.

When you say "shooting under 1 sec," I would have thought that should
read " shooting OVER 1 sec."

Please clarify. dundee6

Indeed this has been informative. If you would have just posted this and asked for comments I would have said leave it alone! I like the fog giving you a little noise, it looks nice. It gives that almost surreal feeling. But the question is what you were looking to portray, if this isnt it, try the suggestions everyone has given and shoot it again.

For a half second exposure, NR isn't going to make any difference. I've found that it won't actually show any results until you're in the 15-30 second range as the hot spots on the sensor begin to show.

Noise is generally highlighted when you alter the image. However, noise is much more pronounced on a monitor than it is on a print.

Most reactions

Back