too much space?

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
so....i caught this gull (and that's a whole other question cause i've never seen a gull of this color) on the potomac and decided to crop it down. do you think i left too much space?

12677096-L.jpg

I really it this way. Gives a great sense of movement with the waves and the gull. Awesome color on that gull and you point out, I've never seen any this color either.

If you are going to do a drastic crop...why not go all the way and make is a long panoramic? That's what you did and I think it works well.

The texture of the water is great, which lets you get away with all of the extra space.

Nice work.

Big Mike said:
The texture of the water is great, which lets you get away with all of the extra space.

Nice work.

Totally agree. Makes the picture more dynamic too - distance for the gull to travel. Another good shot.

Maybe the colour is from the pollution in the Potomac River -genetic mutation :shock: Just kidding :)

Well, that is awesome! Might look better longer, but fantastic as it stands. Was he by himself? If he was larger than the other gulls, he may just be another member of the albatross family.

I love the way you have left space infront of the bird. I think it works because it tells more of the story, a kind of - what happens next feel to it. Maybe that's what I need to look for when taking my photos, making them more interesting by telling more of the story.

Great shot! Nothing strikes me funny about the comp. I like it. I've never seen a gull of that color either. That's really neat.

Well from my time spent near the coast in Cornwall I'm pretty certain that young gulls are a sort of light brown colour... that might expalin it...

Good pic however and I love the composition.

mistakendavis said:
the eye line is what i think lets it work, he is looking strait as if he has that much more to go on and if he were looking up i think it would pull the subject too much. i like it as is.

I agree you've set up a very active shot here and the eye will obviously go withthe flow. They color versus the B&W ...i like. another great shot jon!!!

not too much space, looks good. gull has some space in front to fly through, gives the impression of a journey begining, sorta.... i like it.

Most reactions

Back