Too much stuff???

My opinion.... Whatever makes you happy!!!! you only live once and you can sell stuff later.

but you are not carrying all those things on your back when heading for a shoot ;)

I think there is a case to be made that most people buy more stuff than they need with the underlying wish that "this piece of gear will make my photography better."

I see it in all different types of artists all the time. Guitarists are always buying the latest effect pedal or amp, singers are always buying the newest mic or pre-amp, photographers are always buying the newest gadget, etc.

We all have a bit of GAS (gear acquisition syndrome).

But ultimately, it's a matter of what you really use. Just because nearly everyone can get by with 3 lenses (a super-wide-to-wide zoom, a wide-to-normal zoom, and a normal-to-telephoto zoom) doesn't mean you don't need 8, but it does mean you should know why you're buying the extra 5!

Filters, and tripods, and the rest all have their place, and they all have their utility. If you use them, then you need them.

But if you're buying them because you think that's what you need to be a better photographer, you're making a big mistake.

That's why I love renting gear, or going out with a photo club. You can see if a new gadget or piece of kit is something that you find a need for, or just a cool toy but not something you'll use.

For myself, I find that I have a few things I don't use. But I'm pretty good about e-baying that stuff fairly quickly. For no other reason than I don't have extra storage space at home :)

hehehehhe... yeh.. it would break my back!

In regards to packing equipment.... I think in terms of "kits". I equiped each kit for a specific purpose NOTHING MORE rather than trying to equip for all possible cases (and trying to carry it all). None of it is too uncomfortable to carry. works for me.

- G5 by itself (almost always with me)
- G5 with flash unit. extra cards and batteries
- Rangefinder, 1-3 lenses, walking stick/monopod
- Medium zoom, 1 body, monopod
- Medium zoom, telephoto zoom, 1 body, Tripod
- 24, 50, 85, 135, 1 body, Tripod
- 645, 3 lenses, Tripod
- 67, 2 lenses, Tripod

Occasionally, i just grab my OldNavy messenger bag and throw in a spotmatic and some film.

sorry but in my mind you can NEVER have too much gear :lol:

Too right! At the moment the only things I always have on me are an Olympus XA2 point-&-shoot with black & white film and the 3mp camera in my phone. When I go out specifically looking for shots I try to pack rationally - and fail every time. Generally involves attempting to pack a combined digital and 35mm SLR kit as well as a TLR all in the one bag, and then spending the next few hours wishing I hadn't. I need a caddy.

Most reactions

Back