Too poor to buy a film scanner - Boo!

binglemybongle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
All im after is a flatbed scanner so i can upload photos to TPF and send to friends etc.

I cant afford a 35mm film scanner so have decided to just get a cheapo flatbed.

If im im not using it to edit in photoshop and wont be printing the images, will this do?:

http://www.spacecomputers.com/index.html?YzJodmQxOXpjR1ZqUFRFbVlXTjBhVzl1UFhCeWIyUmZhVzVtYnlabFkyOWtaVDAzTWpnMU1RPT0%3D

Hopefully the link should work but if it doesnt, this is a description:

~£30 ($50?)
Scan Modes:
Color Mode: 48-bit (Software Enhanced)
36-bit (Internal)
Gray Mode: 12-bit (Internal)
Line Art / Text: 1-bit

Scan Area:
8.5" x 11.7" (216 mm x 297 mm)

Resolution Control:
Optical: 1200 dpi (H) x 2400 dpi (V)
Maximum: 19200 dpi x 19200 dpi (Software Interpolated)

Going off an average monitor's resolution, is this sufficient?

I'm no expert, but it looks to me like you want a scanner with a higher resolution - I've recently bought a CanoScan 8400F - 3200 x 6400dpi, 48bit, £124 (not including postage) from www.komplett.co.uk and it's great for good (though maybe not great) quality scans for web use and small prints. Since you don't plan to print you probably don't need that level of resolution, so I'd recommend a cheaper scanner from the same range (Komplett is a good place to buy them from too, as long as you don't mind having a 'foreign' plug and using the power adapter which they include). Epson also do flatbeds that can take 35mm negatives and these have got good reviews, though personally I prefer to stick with a camera manufacturer when I'm looking for a film scanner.

Sorry but I don't think you can really get a suitable scanner for £30 unless you're lucky on Ebay (I'm assuming I've read your post correctly and it's negatives rather than prints you want to scan). Spend a bit more and go for a Canon is my advice - but like I said, I'm no expert :)

I scan my 35mm negs on a dedicated film scanner made by Plustek. I bought it about a year ago for $200.00 from http://www.tigerdirect.com

It does up to 7200 dpi, however I found that scanning at 1800 and sometimes at 3600 (ultra fine grain) gives me the best results. Fairly easy to operate, with a great piece of software, makes me happy. :)

Most reactions

Back