Took a shot at HDR

mrshaleyberg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know it's not an interesting picture, but I was proud of myself for pressing like two buttons on photoshop. lol. I'm going to be doing pictures of my husbands car soon, and going to turn a few into HDR. I love the dramatic look!

You want to try to get rid of that halo around the top of the fence and trees.

Ya, I agree that's a huge halo around the fence and tress.

I like it, even with the blue glowy sky...

I didn't know you could do that in photoshop, can it be done in elements also?

How do you get rid of that? Just adjust it differently and see if it'll go away? I'm not sure if you can do it in elements. I would youtube it and see.

How do you get rid of that? Just adjust it differently and see if it'll go away? I'm not sure if you can do it in elements. I would youtube it and see.

In photomatix it's all in the smoothing settings, general smoothing and highlight smoothing kept about halfway keep me from getting halos usually..

There's a whole lot more going on here than halo problems. The entire HDR appears extremely over-exposed... and what has been called a "halo" in the sky looks more like a blown-out highlight.

My honest opinion: hit the drawing board again and see what you can come up with... then post a somewhat better attempt. This HDR suffers from so many problems... a critique at this point isn't worth the forum space.

Not trying to put you down, seriously... HDR can be tricky in the beginning, there's no question. But from a technical standpoint -that is, looking for the features expected out of an HDR such as expanded detail and more clarity in shadow and highlight areas- this particular piece is largely a failure.

Given the wide-ranging problems here, the best piece of advice I could offer for your next attempt is to bias your exposure bracket closer to the underexposed reaches of its range. For example, if you took this shot at +2EV / 0EV / -2EV... try underexposing by a stop or so for a bracket more like +1EV / -1EV / -3EV.

I say this because the only explanation I can think of as to why there are blown out highlights in the sky is that none of the shots in your bracket were underexposed enough to properly expose the brighter portions in the first place.

There's a whole lot more going on here than halo problems. The entire HDR appears extremely over-exposed... and what has been called a "halo" in the sky looks more like a blown-out highlight.

My honest opinion: hit the drawing board again and see what you can come up with... then post a somewhat better attempt. This HDR suffers from so many problems... a critique at this point isn't worth the forum space.

Not trying to put you down, seriously... HDR can be tricky in the beginning, there's no question. But from a technical standpoint -that is, looking for the features expected out of an HDR such as expanded detail and more clarity in shadow and highlight areas- this particular piece is largely a failure.

Given the wide-ranging problems here, the best piece of advice I could offer for your next attempt is to bias your exposure bracket closer to the underexposed reaches of its range. For example, if you took this shot at +2EV / 0EV / -2EV... try underexposing by a stop or so for a bracket more like +1EV / -1EV / -3EV.

I say this because the only explanation I can think of as to why there are blown out highlights in the sky is that none of the shots in your bracket were underexposed enough to properly expose the brighter portions in the first place.

Really I was just playing around. I literally just clicked a few buttons and did no other adjusting. Just wanted to see what photoshop would do. I'm going to try doing 9 different exposures next time, and put all those together to see what I come up with. My camera will let me take 4 underexposed, regular, and 4 overexposed. I'm just going to keep playing. I really have no idea what I'm doing with the whole HDR thing. Not trying to be a professional at it, so no offense taken.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back