Took another fly shot this afternoon (closeup)

Dao

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
- 40D
- EF 100mm f/2.8
- 1/200
- f/16
- ISO100

4731527505_181543a1eb_b.jpg

I dont know much about macro photos, but this just freaks me out

:lmao:

I like it myself... great the way you captured the pollen stuck to it!

second one is way better! Just 100mm? How do you get so close? I feel like my 105mm micro doesnt get as close as this.

Yes, just 100mm only. No TC nor extension tube. Just my camera, lens and radio triggered flash with home made diffuser.

The photos are 1:1 ratio. Basically I set the lens manually to 1:1 (so manual focus) and then move the camera backward and forward to focus. It works better on a monopod. But since I do not have a monopod, I use a tripod and make it worked like a monopod. Now I really need to buy a monopod since my tripod is kind of heavy for this.

I think the first frame is way better than the second one. I love that little bit of pollen on the fly's eyeball area. (How does one refer to a singular, multi-eyeball area when a fly has two separate eyeball areas, each composed of dozens on individual, tiny eyeballs??)

Good shots...prefer the first myself. I'm assuming these are probably cropped in?? Either that or some pretty large flies??

Thanks for the comments. I am still learning and trying to improve the technique.
Nates: Yes, they were cropped in.

So far, I learned that light is very important to get good macro shot. I am still trying to make my DYI lighting setup for macro shots. At this point, I think I need to use a PC cable instead of the cheap radio trigger because I can take the shot at 1/250 with flash on the shoe while I can only use 1/200 with radio trigger. (Maybe because of a slight delay)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back