Top 100 Travel Photos - LA Times...3 of my photos were selected!!!!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by AfroKen, Dec 27, 2009.

1. AfroKen

AfroKen TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey everyone!! I figured I'd share this with you since everyone here has been so helpful with my newby questions. I've really gotten a lot of information from the Photo Forum and found it super friendly and helpful. Anyway, this morning I found out that three of my photos were selected for the Top 100 Travel Photos from LA Times readers for 2009!!! I have had the photos here on my Ken Lee Photography website and my personal Eleven Shadows website for a while, and there are links from my sites to the photos, or you can click on the links below!!

Travel | 2009 Photo Issue - latimes.com

My three photos selected for the Top 100 Travel Photos on the LA Times website:

My photo of us floating through the Amazon

My photo of monks in Ladakh covering their ears from the clattery sound

My photo of the otherworldly Lamayuru Monastery in Ladakh, of this earth, not of this earth.

Obviously, I want to show this to you because I'm proud of it, but also to hopefully inspire some of you by showing that you don't always need an expensive camera and all that, but just to go out there and start taking photos. I have a Nikon D50, hardly the greatest camera, and suck at PhotoShop and am definitely not a professional photographer, just to let you know where I'm coming from.

Anyway, again, thank you for how helpful everyone has been here. I know I don't post a lot, just because I feel like I kinda don't know what I'm talking about and have a lot to learn, but I just wanted to say thanks!

-Ken
    www.kenleephotography.com

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  2. TampaWeddingPhotos

TampaWeddingPhotos TPF Noob!

Congrats!

I love the one of the monks! The pose reminds me of 'The Scream' by Edvard Munch (except the mouth is closed)

Keep up the good work!

3. AfroKen

AfroKen TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :D It is sorta like that!!!!! I love monk photos! I spent a lot of time in some of the monasteries in Ladakh, hanging out and joking around with them and such. Same with Dharamsala. Fantastic trip.

Here's another fun monk photo. I think this one's hilarious!

[​IMG]

4. Photo Lady

Photo Lady No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    thats awesome.. love your pics..

5. AfroKen

AfroKen TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey, thanks! Greatly appreciated! I've been lucky to go to beautiful places. Certainly helps a photo along, donut? :D

But I meant what I said about this forum. I lurk here more than I post, but I really am grateful to the advice I've gotten so far, and have learned a lot from this Photography Beginner's Forum here.

BTW, since it's fun to talk about gear, I shot these three shots with my trusty ol' Nikon D50. It's an entry-level DSLR that's about 4-5 years old, I think. And with all these shots, I used the 18-200mm VR Nikkor lens, which is not the fastest lens in the world, but it's really great for people who travel and need to tote equipment. "Walkabout lens".

Anyway, thanks for the positive support!!!