Torn, too many choices: Nikon upgrade

dizzyg44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so I've come across a small amount of wind fall, about 600 dollars.

Right now I have:
D80
18-135 kit lens
70-300 VR (used once)
50mm
MB-D80
Plus a lot of other accessories including a Sekonics l-318 and sb800.

But I'm itching for something new.

The itch came about because I never use my 70-300, I've only used it when I first got it, I don't like keeping nice things I never use when someone else could be enjoying it. I'm also not very thrilled about the 18-135, especially with it being a plastic mount, and not VR (I'm a coffee fiend).

So at first I was thinking of selling off both of my zoom lenses and spring for the 18-200 VR, and still have possibly have some money left over.

or

Get the 18-200, just sell the 18-135 and make myself use the 70-300 more often.

or

Get a new D90 w/18-105VR kit lens, sell the D80 and 18-135. I love the D90 but not so thrilled about the 18-105 also being a plastic mount.

or

Live with the lenses I have and just swap bodies.

or

just pull my hair out over the possibilities, constantly scrounging the web for the best deal until I go insane :lol:

I'd really like to get some lights and build a bdget backdrop, but I don't have a place/room to setup

WWYD?

Garrett

Simple, buy better lenses. It seems as though you hate plastic mounts. Buy nicer lenses with metal mounts, just prepare for the bill.

We keep saying it over and over and over:

- if you do NOT know what you need, don't buy anything.
- your next purchase should NOT be based on what your current equipment is, but what you NEED or WANT from YOUR photography and this is basically why no one else can tell you what your next purchase will be... besides yourself, of course!

- As a GENERAL rule... you will get better results from high quality lenses over upgrading the camera. This is not always true, but it is true 75% of the time. Moving from a D40 to a D3, for example, will give you better results than merely using a high end lens on a D40. Moving from one mid-range lens to another mid-range lens is not an upgrade, and with very few exceptions, good lenses are NOT cheap. The rare exception could be something like the 50mm F/1.8 lens, but near no other.

Gotta love this one:
"I'd really like to get some lights and build a bdget backdrop, but I don't have a place/room to setup"

Then you have no issues. If there is no room for it, there is no need for it. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks,

Curious to know your opinion of the live view. I'm not normally into it, but after playing with the D90, nikons actually made it quite useful. But I haven't had a chance to use it for an extended amount.

My eyesight up close is horrible and I've always had issues with the view finder on my D80. I just haven't gotten around to ordering the adapter and 2x magnifier plus I'd be afraid of it breaking off as my bag is quite cramped.

Jerry,
You're 100% right on all accounts from a practicality point of view and normally I think along the same lines. But sometimes, especially if it's been along time, it's nice just be able to pet yourself. All of my needs are taken care of, so why not fulfill the wants. :) it's been a couple years since I've gotten myself something really nice (we decided to skip the holiday gifts for ourselves and give to the kids). The only reason why I have the kit I have now is due to a misprint from circuit city. It was big enough mistake for them that I got my current kit and made money after selling my D40 kit.

Garrett

Last edited:
I have it on the D700.

Meh... it's over-rated. I can see using it at a parade or something where I need to take a shot with the camera overhead, but its not a "must have" option.

Besdies, I sincerely think I look like an ass holding out a dSLR at arm's length while trying to take a shot. You won't catch me doing this unless I have NO other choice.

I have it on the D700.

Meh... it's over-rated. I can see using it at a parade or something where I need to take a shot with the camera overhead, but its not a "must have" option.

Besdies, I sincerely think I look like an ass holding out a dSLR at arm's length while trying to take a shot. You won't catch me doing this unless I have NO other choice.

Quit lieing, you don't use the viewfinder at all. :lmao:

Last edited:
I would say that you should sell both, get a 16-85, then see what you need. That is a very good range, works great, and will upgrade with you(apsc).

Well, After a bit of thought and weighing cost of all of my options and what I could reasonably sell my old body and kit lens, I decided to get the D90 w/18-105vr.

I found that after my employee discount plus what I sold my D80/kit lens/some cheap filters, memory cards for fluff I broke even without even having to touch my extra money. Nothing like being able to upgrade for basically free WOOT!

Depending of how I like the new kit lens after getting to know it, if I don't like it I may just sell it and use the extra money to spring for the 18-200vr or as Alex mentioned, go 16-85 since I still have the 70-300vr.

If i were you...
I would keep the D80 and the lens that you have a go for a wide angle such as a tokina 11-16 f/2.8 or a Sigma 10-20 because you have nothing wider then 18mm

I also think that it is sorta point less to upgrade to a D90 when you have a D80, i mean i have a D70 and i wont be upgrading for at least 2 years from now. But if you think that you really need a new body the only thing that i would think of upgrading to would be a D300

My opinion, neither of those. Instead of buying multiple cheap lenses, try to save up for a more expensive lens. I doubt you need a D90. The 18-200 has problems that result from it being such a wide zoom range. Save up for a really good mid range zoom (like the Sigma 18-50 F2.8), which is supposedly on par with the $1500 Nikkor 17-55. If you're happy with your midrange, maybe try saving up for a 70-200is thing (Tamron, Sigma, or even the older Nikkor 80-200).

If you're serious about photography, you're going to eventually purchase one of these lenses. They are good for both beginner and advanced users.

My opinion is that if you never use your 70-300, you won't miss it, so sell it.

Keep the D80, unless you really find something lacking, there is no reason to upgrade.

Look at some faster better glass, start with with looking at zooms with apertures of 2.8, The 18-50, from sigma and the tamron 17-50, are both great lenses for around $400.

If you also want the same range with VR, selling both your lenses, combined with your $600, will get you close to the Nikor 17-55 2.8 VR, which is top of the line.

As Ryan says, the Nikkor 17-55 is a great lens, probably better than the Sigma or Tamron models. But its a lot heavier, and a lot more expensive. In my opinion, your money would be better spent on two (maybe three) kick-ass third party lenses than one kick ass Nikkor lens.

I do love my Kick-ass third party lenses, too! I have the Tamron 17-50 2.8, and its a very nice piece of glass. I also don't find VR a necessity with this focal range either(though I'm sure its nice to have.)

haha....it's funny that people are still responding after my last post.

I've already ordered the D90 w/18-105 because what I got for my kit (without selling the 70-300) and my employee discount it was pretty much an even trade. I can't wait for it to get here tommorrow.

Since I still have the extra money I'm looking at some wide angles. Still considering some lighting options too.

Cool Man, nothing can beat a free upgrade! If you want some lighting look into some cactus triggers and a vivitar 285 or two. Have fun with your new gear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back