tornado, storms, sunset, and bird

wxnut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dougraflikphotography.com
I dug up some old pics I never put on my site, and redid a couple old favs...

sun10.jpg

yleg2.jpg

elec38.jpg

5_12_04019.jpg

attica1b.jpg

Doug Raflik
http://www.dougraflikphotography.com

These are very nice pictures, however I must say that they are destroyed by your watermark in the middle of all of them.

Wally said:
These are very nice pictures, however I must say that they are destroyed by your watermark in the middle of all of them.
Yep, all that ----^ :mrgreen:

I know you're just trying to protect your image, but your watermark is really distracting.

Wally said:

I would be willing to bet money that you got an e-mail this summer / fall that had photos of Hurricane Katrina coming ashore. Am I right? Those pictures were actually storm pictures taken by a good friend of mine, IN NEBRASKA. But it didnt end there. These pics have since been used by chevy on a poster, by CBS in a made for tv movie, on the cover of a magazine in Australia, and MANY other magazines and web sites. In fact, take a look at this page and see who all used his pictures without his permission...

http://www.extremeinstability.com/storms.htm

Now... He had posted these pictures, (Not hi-res) on another photo site WITHOUT watermarks. Do you think CBS would have used that picture (Its on that page) if there was a big ole watermark on it? And if he had placed his website on it from the start, people could have looked at his site and seen he chases storms in the midwest and not hurricanes. So yes, while I agree with you it doesnt give the photo a boost in the looks dept, it IS necessary to keep theft of my pictures down. And I know the watermark can be erased in photoshop if someone tried hard enough, but it will deter most of the people that would want to claim the pictures as their own.

Sorry for the rant, but this has happened to me in the past, but not to the extent as my friend Mike. (I had received a flyer to a severe weather seminar that had one of my pictures on the cover.) Someone on here even used one of his pics as his own. That person has since been kicked off after I brought it to peoples attn.

I do not post ANY picture on the web, that I think even has a hint of being marketed, without a watermark.

Hope you understand,

Doug Raflik

wxnut said:
I would be willing to bet money that you got an e-mail this summer / fall that had photos of Hurricane Katrina coming ashore. Am I right? Those pictures were actually storm pictures taken by a good friend of mine, IN NEBRASKA. But it didnt end there. These pics have since been used by chevy on a poster, by CBS in a made for tv movie, on the cover of a magazine in Australia, and MANY other magazines and web sites. In fact, take a look at this page and see who all used his pictures without his permission...

http://www.extremeinstability.com/storms.htm

Now... He had posted these pictures, (Not hi-res) on another photo site WITHOUT watermarks. Do you think CBS would have used that picture (Its on that page) if there was a big ole watermark on it? And if he had placed his website on it from the start, people could have looked at his site and seen he chases storms in the midwest and not hurricanes. So yes, while I agree with you it doesnt give the photo a boost in the looks dept, it IS necessary to keep theft of my pictures down. And I know the watermark can be erased in photoshop if someone tried hard enough, but it will deter most of the people that would want to claim the pictures as their own.

Sorry for the rant, but this has happened to me in the past, but not to the extent as my friend Mike. (Someone on here even used one of his pics as his own. That person has since been kicked off after I brought it to peoples attn.)

I do not post ANY picture on the web, that I think even has a hint of being marketed, without a watermark.

Hope you understand,

Doug Raflik

I understand perfectly, that is why we have copyright laws, if CBS, GM or anyone else stole one of my images it would be very easy to be compensated for it. It would also be very easy to prove since I have the RAW file or the negative.

You can actually acomplish more by just putting a tiny copyright notice at the bottom corner of your picture, or even expand the canvas in photoshop and place it below your image. That way if your image was stolen you could win even more in damages since the person/company that stole it had to go out of their way to steal and then edit out your copyright notice.

very amazing!!! love the sky in number 1, the lightning and clouds are great in numbers 3 and 4, number 4 is really awesome. :thumbup:

Doug, Amazing shots and well done. I wish I could spend most my time outside as I enjoy all types of weather, good and bad. Keep up the great work.

Eric

Most reactions

Back