Total and Absolute newbie - please assist?

Saffronkitten

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello. Recently I helped my friend with her chritsmas present for her boyfriend, a series of pictures of her. she liked the work I did and i had a lot of fun taking the pictures. a couple more of my friends liked them too and now they want pictures done too! I'm really enjoying this snap-happy career. but the problems are: I have never before done anything with the intention of it looking professional, I cannot afford anything more than the digital camara I already own, I'm the tender age of 15.

does anyone have any advice on getting started please? It would be much appreciated.

Are you looking to start a photography business or just continue doing occasional shoots for friends? Like Corry said, there are many aspects to running a business....

First of all, welcome to the forums.

Secondly, what kind of gear do you have at this point? If you are really serious about photography you might want to get a part time job and earn a little extra money.

ahelg said:
First of all, welcome to the forums.

Secondly, what kind of gear do you have at this point? If you are really serious about photography you might want to get a part time job and earn a little extra money.

An extra job? Heh heh..funny but true! I have three of them.

Well seing as this person is 15 I expect he/she is still going to school and probably does not have a job. If this is the case, get one.

I'm impressed. What are they.

Welcome to the site.

Photography is broad subject and there is an endless amount of stuff to learn. It's great though and you have come to the right place.

If you just want to take nice portraits of your friends & family with the camera you have...Lighting will make a huge difference to how professional your photos look.

Don't' use the built-in flash on your camera. Try to use other sources of light. A window can be a great source of soft light. You can use regular lamps but make sure that your digital camera is set, or can be set for indoor (incandescent) light.

There are endless lighting set ups. Try some searches for portrait lighting. You have a big advantage with digital because you can view your shots as you go.

You might even want to practice you lighting techniques on a test subject like a stuffed animal.

I suggest doing some reading. Then come back here with any specific questions you might have.

Good luck

ahelg said:
Well seing as this person is 15 I expect he/she is still going to school and probably does not have a job. If this is the case, get one.

I'm impressed. What are they.

I'm a bookkeeper for my step-dad's construction company full-time, at Walgreens Drug Store almost fulltime, and one day a week I co-facilitate a children's group at a domestic violence shelter...I'm like a job collector! I just keep getting more and not quitting any!

Mike, you are good at giving advice. When someone asks such a broad question like that, I have no idea where to start.

Big Mike said:
I suggest doing some reading. Then come back here with any specific questions you might have.

Good luck

Reading is a great way to start! I can spend hours in Borders just browsing the photography section!

core_17 said:
Mike, you are good at giving advice. When someone asks such a broad question like that, I have no idea where to start.

Thanks Core, Sometimes I feel like I'm talking out of my butt because I'm no expert...just a guy who hangs out on a photography forum all day :p

Big Mike said:
core_17 said:

Thanks Core, Sometimes I feel like I'm talking out of my butt because I'm no expert...just a guy who hangs out on a photography forum all day :p

Aren't we all?? Well, some of us are women but.... :lol:

Big Mike said:
core_17 said:

You say that like it's a bad thing. ;)

Welcome to the forums. I have to say that I have learned a lot about photography from reading and if I could do it all over again, I would've read first so I could've seen where I wanted to go with my photography and saved some time and money.

Someone once told me, it's not about the camera, but about the photographer.

You've already taken the first step to learning more by being here. You have shown intrest in it...which is awesome. Most people just pick up the camera and assume they know all they need to. It's good to see you here willing to learn. Keep shooting, always.
Read everything you can get your hands on.
Post some pictures here, let people tell you what is good, and what isn't about them. Improve upon what you have done already. make each picture you take better than the last!
I'll say it again though, it's great to see you here!

Honestly, for me, this forum has been a godsend. You dont' learn it right away, but I've soaked up so much over the past several months. There are some fantastic photographers on here...both digital and film. You will learn so much here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back