Total newbie and would appreciate advice

molly malone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi,I am New to photography,mainly using for EBay photos and desperate for some advice.
I need to take some photos of Satin clothing and would love my photos to really show of the gloss and shine of items,my photos just look rather dull.
I have no previous experience,apart from normal family shots.
can anyone please,please offer advice.
I am using a mannequin to model clothes on and using a canon powers hot camera.
thanks in advance.xx

I can help, but Hello, and welcome!

In situations like this, it's less about the camera and all about the light. I imagine you're probably using the pop-up flash or a lamp to light the garment. Try turning off the artificial lights and using the window light at different times of day. Change the position of the garment and the camera relative to the window and see what difference it makes. Try diffusing the light from the window with a sheer, neutral colored fabric and see if that makes a difference.

Professional photographers use off camera flash with modifiers, but it sounds like you're just trying to do better with what you already have. You'll likely never get professional results without professional equipment, but if you learn to understand and utilize light you'll be able to get much further.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back