Total Newbie looking for info on SLR

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by oldschoolornew, Jan 6, 2010.

1. oldschoolornew

oldschoolornew TPF Noob!

Hi,
    I am interested in starting to do some film photography. I am looking for advice on a camera to buy. I want to buy some older camera perhaps from craigslist.
    I remember reading a lot of discussion a while ago on what brand / model people should buy, but it has been a while and I'm just now coming back to this idea.
    So my question is what's a good brand? I remember reading that a certain brand can fit all the lenses made by the brand, while other cameras have different connectors and only fit some of the lenses. Also what is a good model to look for.

I know this sounds very general, but perhaps someone could share a link to a nice article particularly on this topic.

Thank you everyone.

2. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi and welcome!

Better questions to answer would be what is your budget, what is your experience, what would you like to mainly shoot and would you rather have a camera that you can ease into digital with or go really old school and has the Cool factor?

3. oldschoolornew

oldschoolornew TPF Noob!

Thank you for your response.
    I have no experience other that playing with an Olympus OM10 that ended up not working :lol:
    I'm not concerned with digital really yes, in fact it's the opposite - I probably want to stick to 35mm film.
    My budget is not a problem. However, I am looking for a nice used cam that's more timeless but still full of good features - basically I want it to be as cheap as I can get it with it still being a great piece of equipment. I liked the OM10, but again I have no clue what I am talking about. And as I kind of mentioned in the OP, I want to be able to find lenses for it with relative ease.

Edit: what I'd like to shoot. Probably stills to get a hang of how the cameras work. I'm thinking general shots of nature - trees, etc. Probably some close-ups of flowers/bugs, lol. And possibly close ups of things further away (bird in a tree).

That's probably pretty retarded sounding.. sorry :)

4. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    No, that was pretty clear really. ;)

With SLRs what you want to look for is the lens. To get an idea try looking through some toy binoculars and then look through a quality one. Though both might be the same magnification the better ones will give you a much richer view. The camera is just a box that holds the film really although it can help with exposure.

If you need auto focus then I would stick with Nikon or Canon- either one is fine though I'm particular to Nikons. I think you might be better served though with a manual camera Again, Nikon and Canon made some of the best but Pentax and Minolta were right up there. Not to say Olympus or Yashica or a number of other manufacturers didn't make good cameras it's just that at todays prices you don't need to muck around looking for a top flight rig. Or the German cameras for that matter. ;)

Shooting birds gets really expensive because you need a Big telephoto- the more the mm's the more the $$'s but if that's what you want then I'd go with Nikon because you would have a larger (in numbers anyway) selection and thus an easier time finding what you want.

Shooting small things is a lot easier either with a special lens or extension tubes or magnifying filters.

Good luck with it
    mike

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  5. oldschoolornew

oldschoolornew TPF Noob!

Thank you Mike, I'll be letting you know if I decide to purchase something :)

6. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The most popular choises are Nikon, Canon, Minolta, and Pentax. I personally prefer Nikon because of lens compatibility, I own nikon slrs from 1959 all the way up to dslrs from 2009, and ALL my lenses work on every single one of them.

the cheapest nikon Film SLR with a respectable feature set is the FG series--these only cost about $30. The best "bang for your buck" is the F100, which go for less then $200, and are arguably the best film slr ever made.

I personally am a big fan of the FE, and the F3.

7. RancerDS

RancerDS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Canon AE-1 Program

Nikon F-301/N2000

Minolta X-700

In order of preference you should be considering. Any of those will run you around $50 used with a basic 50mm lens. You will pay more when they come with extra lenses, a flash, remote or wire trigger, camera bag, tripod, etc, etc, etc. You MIGHT get lucky and find one of those in the $35-$40 price range... and for $25 if EXTREMELY lucky.

Whatever camera you decide to buy... check it out first if you are able. If you are buying from online auction, make sure they offer a full refund. Some will not refund shipping. And see that they offer maybe 7 days versus 3. Beware of ANY auction or ad where it says AS-IS, because that nullifies any "return" policy they say they are offering.