Total newbie

Atlantia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Greetings all, I am a high school student who wants to become a Photographer. I have always wanted to create the beautiful photographs that I find irresistible.

The thing is, I don’t even own a camera, or know where to begin. I know it sounds strange to want to be a photographer when I grow up but the only camera I have is in my phone. I need some help figuring out how to get started. I know nothing about equipment nothing about film and nothing about all the computer programs that people are using to make their photographs cool.
I’m looking into colleges that offer degrees and programs in photography, but college is still a few years away.
A friend of mine’s mom told me to find a photography forum to help me find out what to do. There is just so much on the web.
I have so many questions. But I guess the first one I should as is what kind of camera should I look into for my first camera? Please keep in mind that I don’t have lots of money to spend.
Any advice would be welcome, thanks.

welcome Atlanta! you'll find a lot of resources here. I'd recommend checking out the Equipment section for reviews on cameras... you can get a feel of which one might appeal to you to go and check out in the stores. There are a lot of great digital slr cameras on the market for a great price to help you get started, and free trials of software that you can practice on!

Cheers!

First think about using your phone camera ... and what you do not like about the images you are getting.

This will give you an idea on what you want in a camera ... that's a start.

Then ask questions.

This is a great start. When I first joined TPF there was a lot of terms I didn't understand. I copied and pasted them in google and researched until I had a better understanding of the terms people were using.. This will give you an advantage because when you get your camera you'll have the knowledge to use it.

Most reactions

Back