Total noob! help needed!

photocrazy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, I've been interested in photography for a while and used to take pictures with my old point and shoot but I gave it away , when I went to college.
Now, I really want a camera and was looking into buying one but have a really tight budget. I'm getting a used Canon Rebel XT locally soon. I'm taking the camera to a camera shop , so that the person there can check if everything is fine with it before buying it. The camera doesn't come with a lens and I'm hoping you guys would help a newbie choose out a lens for taking pictures of pretty much everything and tell me the prices of it.
Thanks.
:D

The new canon kit lens is supposed to be good value 18-55 IS.
Good optics, 4 stop IS, decent range for walkaround.

Nifty fifty 50mm 1.8 is also value, but wouldn't be my choice as a first lens on a 1.6 crop camera.

A range of 18-135 (or so) it usually a fairly economical choice with a lot of flexibility in the lens. I use those specific numbers because Nikon makes such a lens, but I don't know what the equivelent is in the Canon space.

Just want to see if you have an old Canon camera (can be defective) laying around. If you do, you maybe able to get a [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]refurbished XT from Canon for $275 with the kit lens.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canon Loyalty program
Call the techsupport number
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 866-443-8002 or 800-828-4040 and mention the Canon Loyalty program. They will ask you the old Canon camera serial number and you will need to ship the old (can be defective) Canon back to them.

[/FONT]

Just want to see if you have an old Canon camera (can be defective) laying around. If you do, you maybe able to get a [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]refurbished XT from Canon for $275 with the kit lens.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canon Loyalty program
Call the techsupport number
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 866-443-8002 or 800-828-4040 and mention the Canon Loyalty program. They will ask you the old Canon camera serial number and you will need to ship the old (can be defective) Canon back to them.

[/FONT]

Yeah, I thought about this as well. A guy had a local ad for defective canon cameras and I was going to get one but then he took the ad down before I could call him. Maybe I'll get a cheap one of e bay and then do it. Thanks for reminding me of it though.

I just purchased a used XTi without a lens a week or so ago. I also purchased a new Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens on amazon for less than $90 with no tax and free shipping! This lens is absolutely awesome. Super fast, excellent lens to learn on. At f/1.8 you'll get spoiled for sure. Check out --> this <-- site to check out a lot of sample photos and hundreds of customer reviews. For the price, this is a great lens.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, I thought about this as well. A guy had a local ad for defective canon cameras and I was going to get one but then he took the ad down before I could call him. Maybe I'll get a cheap one of e bay and then do it. Thanks for reminding me of it though.

Maybe call your friends and relatives and see if they have a defective canon camera can give it to you free or at a very low cost (like few bucks).

I ordered a new rebel xt. should be here soon. :D

Thanks for helping out guys.

Most reactions

Back