Total noob looking for a camera...

qiktune

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, firstly I gotta tell all you people - I've been lurking this site for a some time now and the pics that you are all posting are astounding!!!!

My wife has registered here (she's the photgrapher) registered a while back but has yet to post anything.
My question to all you fine people is this:

I would like to buy her a new camera (Digi SLR) but am a bit confused. She seems really keen on the Nikon D50 and although they look sensational, the price has dropped on these over the last couple of weeks and was wondering if there was any particular reason.

We're in Sydney, Australia and from what I can see on the net a D50 can be had for AUD$999.99 now (Teds Camera Store) with the bare essentials. Should I go out to my local camera store and ask them to match the price and throw in a memory card or the like or is this asking too much? I don't know a thing about cameras...

You might want to know what she's using now to make a comparison/suggestion on the type of lens etc I should buy at this stage.

At the moment she's snapping away with a Fuji Finepix ???? digital compact and a Canon (regular film - dont know what it is).

Your help would be most appreciatted.

If she is using a Canon fil SLR I assume she has canon lenses. it would be wise to utilie her investment in Canon lenses by getting a Caon DSLR. The 350D Is the lowest price model in production but you migh tbe able to get a new 10D somewhere (the predecessor) to the 20D.

If I misunderstood then ignore me.

Thanks for the reply Daniel. The Canon is an EOS 700QD with a 35-80mm lens, doesn't mean much to me but it uses "regular film" and she'd like to head the digital route.

Thanks in advance for the input.

qiktune said:
Thanks for the reply Daniel. The Canon is an EOS 700QD with a 35-80mm lens, doesn't mean much to me but it uses "regular film" and she'd like to head the digital route.

Thanks in advance for the input.

That lens would work on a 350D or a 30/20/10/5/1D, so it may be worth looking at the Canon equivilent to the D50 as she'd already have one lens for it, so you'd only need to buy the body, not the kit lens as well. Also, for about US$90 you could get a f1.8 50mm lens which is a great way to get a fast prime for little money.

However, cameras are quite a personal thing, so she might like to give you some pointers, if that doesn't spoil things.

Rob

I don't think that single lens should be the deciding factor, but it could save you some money. If she had a lot of glass that would be a different story. If she hasn't already, I'd suggest she handle the two cameras in person before deciding.

And I agree with getting the 50mm, for either camera.

markc said:
I don't think that single lens should be the deciding factor, but it could save you some money. If she had a lot of glass that would be a different story. If she hasn't already, I'd suggest she handle the two cameras in person before deciding.

And I agree with getting the 50mm, for either camera.

I agree with the above and therein lies the hard part. How do I get her out and window shop for a camera she thinks is just out of reach at the moment? :meh: It needs to be a suprise :hugs:

If I can take you guys back to the original question also and ask again what I should ask them to "throw in" when I make the purchase. I'm guessing I'll probaly have to pay a bit extra to swap out the stock lens but maybe I could push for a better memory card. Is this what I should be looking at or perhaps there's some other more important bit of gear that I should go for instead eg extra battery etc

Thanks guys

If you think that they might throw in a memory card, then go for it...but I wouldn't sacrifice the kit lens for it. I seem to be one of the few who does recommend getting the kit lens with a DSLR. They certainly are not great lenses...but they allow you to get a normal focal range on those cameras...for a very reasonable price. A lens on a film SLR, will give a wider view than the same lens on either of those DSLR cameras mentioned. That's why the kit lenses are super wide, starting at 18mm.

Extra batteries (not the name brand) can be found much cheaper on-line...so I wouldn't get an extra one from the shop.

ok, think I'm starting to understand. I guess all I need to do right now is innocently get her out to some stores to check out which one she prefers comfortwise etc.

All those numbers 18-55 are so friggin confusing :confused: . Give me a song to write and a studio to put it down in anyday!!! :lmao:

Thanks for the help guys. The little lady came home yesterday and told me she went into a camera store handled the D50 and really likes it :D .

She'd gone in to grab some film and ended up talking prices on the D50 with the stock lens as well as the 2 lens deal. Sensational!!!

I'll disappear now and hopefully soon she'll be here introducing herself......Thanks again to all.:hail:

ps, I was never here ok! :thumbsup:

Hey all, I've snuck back for a moment.

I've found the D50 for what I suppose would be an ok price locally AUD$1400 (twin lens kit). I went to the B+H site and by purchasing via them (as well as supporting your forum) I'd be saving myself AUD$300, BUT they don't ship DSLRs outside the US. :meh:

Can anyone suggest an alt. dealer in the US that WILL ship me the camera? I mean 300 bucks is 300 bucks right.

qiktune said:
Hey all, I've snuck back for a moment.

I've found the D50 for what I suppose would be an ok price locally AUD$1400 (twin lens kit). I went to the B+H site and by purchasing via them (as well as supporting your forum) I'd be saving myself AUD$300, BUT they don't ship DSLRs outside the US. :meh:

Can anyone suggest an alt. dealer in the US that WILL ship me the camera? I mean 300 bucks is 300 bucks right.

Maybe Adorama? Maybe also e-mail B&H and ask them nicely. Don't forget import duty requirements. Also, you are nearer Hong Kong aren't you, so maybe look into them as their prices are much cheaper.

Rob

Thanks for the response Rob. I did actually email B+H and their response was ...."Sorry can't ship Nikon DSLR's out side the USA". Bummer.

I hadn't actually thought about Hong Kong (probably because I'm none too fluent in the dialect :wink: ) But I'll check that avenue.

Thanks for the heads up on Adorama....I will investigate.

I've been all over the net and can't seem to find a dealer in Hong Kong. I'm hoping I don't have to go the ebay/asia route.

Waiting on a response from Adorama re availabilty on twin lens kit and whether they ship to Aus.

I've used Digitalrev for some bits and pieces, didn't run into any issues. I'm based in Sydney btw. Watch out for Duty & GST. Customs will charge it on stuff worth over $1000.00.

Most reactions

Back