Total Photography Newbie Looking For Help

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Smashy, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Smashy

Smashy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Please be gentle :hug:: I'm a total newbie to photography. I have managed to blag myself an Olympus E-510, I'm not sure if it's what would be classed as 'any good' by the people in the know. BUT as I got it free, I'm not going to complain :lmao:

I have taken a few pictures and I'm just after some pointers on how I can make them better next time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure they are rubbish by most people's standards, but 'heyho' we all have to start somewhere.

Thanks in advance

Matt

2. dcclark

dcclark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Cute pup. :) Yup, they're not bad, especially since you're just starting out. One thing I can see right off the bat that may help you is this: it looks like your focus is a little bit off. Meaning, I'd like to see the dog's face -- especially his eyes -- in nice sharp focus, but they aren't. For example, in the second photo, look at the grass -- THAT looks nice and sharp, but his eyes and fur are just a little bit off. Paying a bit of attention to where your camera chooses to autofocus will help a ton -- or else setting up your camera to let you choose exactly which focus point is uses.

Keep it up, and keep trying new things! :)

3. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi Matt, in both you needed a faster shutter speed especially #2 as you were shooting at 263mm on your camera it has a 2x crop so that would be 534mm on 35mm so you need to be shooting at minimum 1/500 first shot was 104mm = 208mm you shot at 1/200, so what ever length you are shooting at that is your minimum shutter speed unless you are very steady or using a tripod, hope you understand