totally back at square one!

Rogan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
well for months ive been trying to decide on a dSLR but ive not had the money so i havent made any purchases!

but ive fianlly got my money (£350 to spend)

yet i still cant pick a camera/lens

i really like the look of a canon 20D (around £250) but that only leaves me £100 for a good (preferably fast but at that price ah well..) all around lens..

my other option was a nikon D50/D70/s at around £180 leaving me much more for a good lens!

ive been into shops and i prefer the canon layout but there was nothing at all i disliked about nikons either, so i can go either wayy!

SO LOST!

thanks

rogan

I'd say if you really like the canon, go for it. If you dont mind not zooming the 50mm 1.8 would be a good lens. And well within your price. If you want zoom, i'd just go with the kit lens.

You're making a decision here which will likely shape your photographic path for many years if not the rest of your life. Very few people, once they commit to a brand change it. So, if you like the Canon, as the previous poster said, "Go for it!". The Canon 50mm 1.8 is by all accounts an excellent lens, and the kit lenses that come with today's DSLRs are all at the very least, decent. The lenses you buy are far more important than the camera; you're much better off to limp along with the glass the camera comes with and save up for some good-quality stuff (Don't forget used - you save a ton of $$ with used gear) rather than buying a bunch of mediocre stuff now and regretting it.

I have to disagree with Tirediron here. I don't understand where this idea of brand loyalty for life has come from. I'm currently in the process of selling my 20D (and 2 lenses) to change over to Nikon (a D300).

If you're spending hundreds or thousands on glass then it might be different, but when you're buying budget lenses like myself then you don't need to think that you can't switch system later on.

Tirediron is of course completely correct that glass > body. So my suggestion is to look at the lens(es) you would be able to purchase depending on the money left over after each body, and go from there.

The 50mm 1.8 is fantastic, and starting with a prime and nothing else will help you learn, and keep you out of the lazy zoom habits. The same is true, i'm sure, of the Nikon 50mm.

Enjoy whatever you get, and try not to focus too much on gear :)

Last edited:
My ideal lens would be the 24/28-70mm F2.8 lens from sigma but im pretty sure im onlygoing to be able to afford this with the D50/70 not the 20D unless i can find the right price

aaah its so hard!

my other option is a brand new Sony A200 with the kit lens, wich looks also like a nice camera yet im yet to try a sony

What about the Nikon D40 which is £270 from amazon? suppose you wouldn't have enough left for a lens though

I have to disagree with Tirediron here. I don't understand where this idea of brand loyalty for life has come from. I'm currently in the process of selling my 20D (and 2 lenses) to change over to Nikon (a D300).

If you're spending hundreds or thousands on glass then it might be different, but when you're buying budget lenses by myself then you don't need to think that you can't switch system later on.

Tirediron is of course completely correct that glass > body. So my suggestion is to look at the lens(es) you would be able to purchase depending on the money left over after each body, and go from there.

The 50mm 1.8 is fantastic, and starting with a prime and nothing else will help you learn, and keep you out of the lazy zoom habits. The same is true, i'm sure, of the Nikon 50mm.

Enjoy whatever you get, and try not to focus too much on gear :)

Let me guess, your two lenses aren't a 70-200 2.8 IS and a 400mm f/2.8IS?

Usually people don't want to lose money when they have thousands invested in proprietary gear.

I have to disagree with Tirediron here. I don't understand where this idea of brand loyalty for life has come from. I'm currently in the process of selling my 20D (and 2 lenses) to change over to Nikon (a D300).<snipped>

Nothing to do with being loyal to the brand (Though there are many who ascribe to the Ford/Chevy syndrome). It's simply economics; as Village Idiot indicated, if you become seriously involved in this hobby, you'll likely accumulate glass, when you've been it as long as some people, you have lots of expensive glass. Just because company 'X' comes out with a better body doesn't mean it's practical to switch.

kcon ive looked at the D40 but the lens limitations i dont like especvially since it means i have to buy the HSM sigma models which are more expensive

Canon 20D (should be pretty affordable on Photography-on-the.net) and a Sigma 24-60MM f/2.8 lens

kcon ive looked at the D40 but the lens limitations i dont like especvially since it means i have to buy the HSM sigma models which are more expensive

I agree, a d70 is just as cheap and better in every way (except for screen size)...

For that budget the d70 is the way to go.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back