Totally new

Liamsford

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone. My name's Liam, I'm 16.

I have been interested in photography for quite awhile. I'm not in photography class at school and I don't own any fancy cameras. I want to get in to photography and purchase a semi decent-a nicer camera. I travel a lot and visit some beautiful places. For two weeks I've been in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and have taken some pretty nice shots with my camera (a regular Coolpix camera, nothing great) and friends have commented on some of my pictures (I post them on Facebook) and like them, and I've been told I have an eye for photography.

Where do I start? Does anyone have any suggested cameras?

*Oh, I've skill in Photoshop and such for finalizing pictures.

Thank you ;)

if you've got the money getting a dslr would be your best bet... but if not im thinking that a nicer point and shoot the super zoom's wouldnt be too bad for just starting out

What are you shooting mostly? Landscapes? Urban life? Architecture? Portraits? Indoors? What's your budget?

What are you shooting mostly? Landscapes? Urban life? Architecture? Portraits? Indoors? What's your budget?

Recently as I'm on vacation I've been taking pictures of the beaches, wildlife, trees, rivers, etc. And my budget is a few hundred dollars, 100-400 maybe?

You can get a decent starter kit for about $400 if you look around. For example BH Photo's SLRs under $500. Here's their used selection.

A beginner's camera setup can defiantly be done on the cheap. But do your homework. Know what you're buying.

If you look at my photostream, it's all done with an entry level camera and 'consumer' lenses.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back