Tough Question

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Morpheuss, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Morpheuss

Morpheuss TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok I have a tough question. For me it is anyway... Here is the story. I am deployed to Afghanistan right now were the temp is around 110 and supose to get up into 120 and possibly 130 next month and there is always dust in the air... ok now for my question

I have a Canon powershot SX10 back in South Carolina at my home and I'm debating on weather to have my gf ship it to me or not. My worry is it being shiped from South carolina to Afghanistan and another concern of mine is the temp and the dust and I'm wondering if it will possibly damage the camera to the point were it won't work... I spend a nice chunk of change on it and son't want my canon powershot sx10 to become a paperweight while I'm over here.

So my question is am I being silly worrying about if the camera will be ok or is it better to have it stay safe in south carolina were it is right now.

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The SX10 does not have an interchangeable lens capability so the front of it won't be open to the elements.

The tempertures also shouldn't be a problem.

I'd say if you keep it bagged to keep dust out, and out of direct sunlight except when making photos, and out of places the sun will heat up, like a car interior with the windows rolled up, you'll be ok.

I guess it boils down to how important being able to make good images there in Afganistan are to you. Consider that the photo opportunities you are seeing daily, may be once in a lifetime opportunities.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  3. pmsnel

pmsnel TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    See if your girlfriend can get you some one-use underwater cams. The once with film are still sold everywhere. They are quite shockproof as well as dustproof and if you keep to the tips of KmH the temperature won't be a problem.

4. Morpheuss

Morpheuss TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Awesome Thanks for your guys help. You have put my mind at ease.

5. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Worst case, just buy some disposable 35mm cameras. They should have something like that in the PX, right?

Yeah, it's not the best solution - but it's better than coming home with no pictures at all.

6. Morpheuss

Morpheuss TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well I currently have a Nikon coolpix s630 and it is ok... but there isn't a maunal mode at all and it is bugging me everytime I try to take a good picture of the sunset or something when it isn't hot the shutter always ends up staying open for like half a second and its being a major pain.