Tought on the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN for a Panasonic GH2?

Balinus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!

Anyone has experience with the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 coupled with the Panasonic GH2? I could buy one, mostly new, for 150$. So basically, I'm saving the taxes (15%), import/duty fee of a new lense bought from B&H.

Would that be a good complementary lense for my Panasonic 14-140mm f/4-5.6? or is it too similar? I'd get a higher aperture (f/2.8 vs f/5 at 30mm).

Thanks!

PS: I don't have enough money for a pricier lense. At least, not over 200-250$.

Balinus - I would jump on it - this lens is sold out at Amazon US for a reason - it is the absolute best value for money lens out there for micro 4/3.

Take a look at this video:

Not bad for a $150 lens!

Best of the New Year,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
At last falls Toronto Camera Show I tried one out @ the Sigma booth - it had a jumpy focus ring. The salesman & I concluded it was a bad copy. I then went to the Henry's booth & tried one from their stock & it had the same problem. I bought an Oly 45/1.8 instead. I have since bought the Sigma 19/2.8 & am very pleased with it. Here is a sample from the 19mm:

ISO 250, f4.0, 1/4s on E-M5 handheld.

$PC120341.jpg

This is a crop of the above shot:

$crop-120341.jpg

Thanks guys! Nice video brunnerww, might be interested for videos, although I was thinking more about photography, I can see how I would use it for my videos.

Ron, what do you mean by a jumpy focus ring? It made a sound? I ask because it's a local pickup so I'll be able to briefly test the lens on my GH2 before buying.

Thanks guys! Nice video brunnerww, might be interested for videos, although I was thinking more about photography, I can see how I would use it for my videos.

Ron, what do you mean by a jumpy focus ring? It made a sound? I ask because it's a local pickup so I'll be able to briefly test the lens on my GH2 before buying.

I have my camera set so I can fine-tune the focus via the focus ring on the lens if the auto-focus does not lock onto the intended subject. On both samples I tried the focus ring had a stiff point that would cause a jump in the focus not a smooth change, so it was difficult to use the lens as intended. Others have reported the same issue & one fellow sold his on account of this deficiency but willing to buy another if Sigma iron out the problem. Recently a friend of my son bought one that worked perfectly.

I have my camera set so I can fine-tune the focus via the focus ring on the lens if the auto-focus does not lock onto the intended subject. On both samples I tried the focus ring had a stiff point that would cause a jump in the focus not a smooth change, so it was difficult to use the lens as intended. Others have reported the same issue & one fellow sold his on account of this deficiency but willing to buy another if Sigma iron out the problem. Recently a friend of my son bought one that worked perfectly.

Great, thanks! I'll see how the Sigma behave. :)

What kind of option do you need to set in your camera to be able to rapidly fine tune the AF? Never saw that in my GH2 :/

Great, thanks! I'll see how the Sigma behave. :)

What kind of option do you need to set in your camera to be able to rapidly fine tune the AF? Never saw that in my GH2 :/

On my Pana G1 it is set to AF+MF on in the custom menu.

On my E-M5 it is set to S-AF/MF.

Hope you find a good copy.

On my Pana G1 it is set to AF+MF on in the custom menu.

On my E-M5 it is set to S-AF/MF.

Hope you find a good copy.

I hope so too!

Thanks for the tip, I found the AF+MF option :)

Most reactions

Back