toys-n-beer - my 1st lightbox attempt

MarcusM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just built my 1st lightbox from strobist.com, and these are my first shots. I wasn't sure if this should go in the Commercial/Product photography forum since this is just for fun and practice, not a commercial shoot, but if it's in the wrong place feel free to move.

I used one shop light - camera left obviously. I had 2 shop lights, but the bulb burst on the other one about a minute after I plugged it in.

I shot in RAW on Tungsten for the WB but for some reason they still had a yellow tint so I selected the White Point option and that corrected the color.

Please let me know what you think.

CRW_6113_RJr.jpg

CRW_6111_RJr.jpg

CRW_6109_RJr.jpg

CRW_6106_RJr.jpg

They make me want to have a softbox, too, if only for the fun of it (I wouldn't really know what to use it for, I am as far away as can be from the need to create any kind of commercial photos), and I might build myself a "ghetto" one from a banana box one day, just to "play" with it. (I only ever just play with my camera, too, if truth be told ;) ;) ;)).

They make me want to have a softbox, too, if only for the fun of it (I wouldn't really know what to use it for, I am as far away as can be from the need to create any kind of commercial photos), and I might build myself a "ghetto" one from a banana box one day, just to "play" with it. (I only ever just play with my camera, too, if truth be told ;) ;) ;)).

hehe...yea, it's really fun! (And easy to build, too!) I made mine out of a medium-sized cardboard box, based on the instructions on strobist.com. It took me about 7 minutes to build. I actually didn't have the right diffuser (I used white drawing paper), so I still need to buy some tracing paper or vellum, and I need to get another bulb for the shop light that popped. I don't think I'll really ever get into product photography, but I figured it was a good way to practice with lighting and stuff...

very nice job! put the toys and beer together and create some controversy :)

Thanks, yea, funny combo huh? Just some things I thought would look good photographed.

Cool shots, but I think you may want to get a replacement bulb. If you notice, especially on the neck of the Stella (S-T-E-L-L-A, sorry, can't help the Brando thing) bottle, the label is highly reflective on the left and quite dark on the right. How far away was the light source, as well as vertical?

Cool shots, but I think you may want to get a replacement bulb. If you notice, especially on the neck of the Stella (S-T-E-L-L-A, sorry, can't help the Brando thing) bottle, the label is highly reflective on the left and quite dark on the right. How far away was the light source, as well as vertical?

You called? :lol:

mmm stella is some good beer!

Yea, I know exactly what you're saying. Actually, I do have another shop light, it's the tall one on a stand. The other lights I had were floor lights. They stand about 2" off the ground, and being that they are extremely hot and I didn't want to have my paper burst in flames while I was shooting, I had the light the minimum distance possible so that the paper didn't get hot, which was probably almost a foot from the paper.

I set everything up on the floor but I'm going to try again on the table, with the floor light sitting on the table and the tall light on the floor next to the table. I'll post those here hopefully tonight.

Thanks for the comments, keep em coming if you have any more advice!

Ok, I grabbed my other shop light and was able to set a light on each side this time. It definitely improved the shots. Although, I still need to get vellum or tracing paper I think because this drawing paper I'm using is not good for the color cast (almost every shot had to be color corrected in the RAW application) and also the paper is too thick. I think I will get better light with a thinner paper. Let me know what you think of the next series, thanks!

Stella
CRW_6129_RJ.jpg

Stella w/variation - condensation...mmmm, thirsty?
CRW_6130_RJ.jpg

hog rod
CRW_6150_RJ.jpg

ready to race?
CRW_6146_RJ.jpg

Ipod
CRW_6141_RJ.jpg

coins
CRW_6124_RJ.jpg

coins, shallow DOF
CRW_6125_RJ.jpg

ready for battle
CRW_6143_RJ.jpg

Daddy's new toy
CRW_6135_RJ.jpg

430EX
CRW_6136_RJ.jpg

old school
CRW_6153_RJ.jpg

Yashica TLR
CRW_6151_RJ.jpg

MMMM Stella just had me one of those last night.....

can you use a black background in a lightbox? it might make the stella lable pop out more. (PS i think im going to have to build one of these things after seeing this stuff, very cool)

The second shots looks MUCH better. Good job with the light box.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back