TPF AD scams?

AlexColeman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How can TPF let these ads up that are blatant scams? For example, they have an ad for the D90 for $29.70. This forum which I regard as a great place for beginners to learn, is showing them to the wrong path. No better way to start in photography then to be scammed, must be TPF's belief. I can see if they have to be ad supported, but why not ads from reputable dealers?

Alex, I moved your question to the Feedback and Suggestions forum, as yours is direct feedback to something with regards to the forum as such (which is the idea of "Feedback and Suggestions"), and I hope that like this someone responsible will better find it. OK?

I've flagged this one up in the Moderator area and will await a response from the site admins. Just out of interest, where exactly did you see the ad described above?

Thank You.

Along one of the top ad boxes.

I am not sure. It might be, but I will try and get a screen cap.

I really have no place responding to this but......I don't TPF controls the various adds.... i think they just have to be photography related...

report the silly ones to the mods and they can have them removed by the search engine that places them...

I think....

far as I understand it the google ads just searches for key words on each page and then puts up random adds that apply to it (you can get some really funny ones depending on how the conversaton goes!).
I think most sites can request that specific ads not be shown (such as keeping it family friendly) but its not specific control.

Interesting idea having sponcered ads at the moment I can only see one sponcer that is Pro Camera Gear (hiding under the TPF shop sponcer). Since the TPF shop is currently closed would it not be better to remove the refrence and just like direct to pro camera? Unless the shop is comming back.

also what happened to lens baby and adorama? were they not two other sponcers/regular ads that we had

I really have no place responding to this but......I don't TPF controls the various adds.... i think they just have to be photography related...

report the silly ones to the mods and they can have them removed by the search engine that places them...

I think....

As for the google ones no, TPF has no control over them, Google sets them according to whatever the stated subject is and rotates from the list of matching adword ads I do believe.

*EDIT*

also what happened to lens baby and adorama? were they not two other sponcers/regular ads that we had
I still have adorama and B&H

Last edited:
I understand, I just think it is misleading.

The ad in reference is the swoopo one, where you can buy a d90 for $27.

yeah, I've seen it as well, I'm not entirely sure it's a scam though. If you go to their site, it's usually one where the lowest unique bid wins, and everybody has to pay say a few dollars to bid. And then, there has to be a minimum number of bids (so they know they make their money back) and the lowest unique price wins (the winning bidder also has to pay that)

thus, the final sale is usually something ridiculously low. I think it's more like a raffle and ebay mixed together.

Anyway, all that is to say, I'm not entirely sure it's a scam.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back