ksmattfish

Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still
Reaction score
Website
www.henrypeach.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just kidding! Sort of... :wink:

I really enjoyed participating in the first print exchange, and I got some great photos created using digital and film, home darkroom, commercial lab, and inkjet prints. But the BW darkroom is where most of my photography passion is.

This print exchange would be limited to photos shot on film, developed, and printed in a darkroom by the photographer (and you can't just drag your inkjet printer into the darkroom :twisted: ). I'd be interested in exchanging more than one print (any size) each, maybe 2 or 3? And a contact sheet. :D

I know, you're thinking "Why does he want a contact sheet?" I think a contact sheet can give some interesting insight into a photographers' mind, and what was going on during the shoot. I think it would be cool if the contact sheet contained one of the exchanged prints, showing the roll or shooting session, but it could be mixed and matched or whatever. You could even just send old ones, a different one for every person involved.

Since I know it can be difficult to folks who may be interested, but not quite ready yet, or need more time, what if we set the exchange date sometime like the end of February 2005?

Anyone interested?

I was just thinking the same thing Matt! when I saw Jadin post the other one, I thought "but I just want b&w!" :p So I was going to suggest this too. So I'm totally in. 8)

Oh I'm definately in! My timer should be here by the end of the week so I can finally start printing again! Oh and Matt, I got some Hewes reels and they are AWESOME!

Zach :D

I'm in! :D

My darkroom is not functional at the moment, but I still have plenty of prints and contact sheets from class, so anytime you guys want to go is fine by me!

Cool, Matt.

If its end of February then i too can enter this one. As long as its no more then about 10 prints. And i was thinking the same thing about the 1st exchange. Not enough Black and White.

Hey Matt, unfortunately I don't have a darkroom, but I do have a question about contact sheets:

What are they?

A contact sheet is when you put your negatives into a negative sheet, usually 5 or 6 rows of 4 negatives. you put the sheet with the negatives over a photo sheet, and usually glass over the negative sheet to make it flat and against the photo sheet and expose the paper. Then after you develop it you have a copy of all 24/36 pictures on an 8x10 that are not "negative".

Or you can do it in photoshop using the automation > contact sheet 2 and print out pictures that way. :0)

Or a business card *smirks* with your "contact" info. :0)

A contact print is a print made by laying the negative directly on the paper, as opposed to putting the neg into the enlarger and projecting a larger image onto the paper.

A contact sheet is what GerryDavid described. It's usually used to quickly proof the images on a roll of film so that the photographer can decide which ones to print.

The reason I'm interested in looking at contact sheets because then I get to see all the images taken on a roll of film, not just the images used in the final print(s). At the Diane Arbus exhibit I recently visited they had lots of her contact sheets up. It was really cool.

Havoc said:
If its end of February then i too can enter this one.

Well, then, let's say folks should be ready to have their stuff mailed by the last day in February. That should give us plenty of time after the holidays to get stuff done. PM me for my mailing address when you are ready. Let's try for 2 different prints each and a contact sheet, but if anyone can only do one print each that's fine.

I think of this more as a learning experience than collecting "fine art". It think it would be nice to see the work in person, as it's meant to be viewed for a change, rather than low res file images. No one needs to be intimidated or worried that their stuff isn't good enough. It's not a contest, just a sharing of information.

I agree. I'm a total newb to the darkroom, but I've been bitten and am ready to learn. I think sending the contact sheets is an excellent idea. I tend to print full frame as much as possible, my main difficulty is just obtaining that perfect print - learning to "read" my negatives to help me figure out how to attack the print, and plan my exposures. I'll be looking forward to getting that feedback! :D

I'm very happy with this concept. 2 prints seems reasonable to me.

this is sounding like its gonna be spectacular! 2 prints sounds good to me as well, along with the contact sheet

Havoc said:
Yeah last day of Feb. sounds good. I can do 2 prints (total of 20) :)

Well, so far it looks like 6 people are interested. We'll see if we can pick up a few more by February, but I'd be surprised if we could even get to 10 participants.

1. Orie
2. Terri
3. Artemis
4. Aggiezach
5. Havoc
6. KSmattfish
7. ???
8. ???
9. ???
10. ???

I've not done one of these group print exchanges here, so someone will have to explain to the noob. 2 prints plus 1 contact sheet sent to each participant, but send them all to Matt first? 'Splain. Use words with very few syllables. :D

Most reactions

Back