TPF does DC rumor thread...

Im really trying to figure a way to get there. The time off work is not a problem...$$$..might be. I heard it is around a 10 hour drive. I would really like to make it. I will keep y'all posted.

JonMikal said:
just something to consider:

this meet-up could attract quite a number of members. along with that comes the possibility of varying interests. some may have a desire to hang in museums all day while others prefer to check out monuments...outdoor attractions. have you guys discussed maybe breaking into groups?

keep in mind you will be visiting DC on the busiest (tourist related) weekend of the year.

jocose, you may want to add a field for "interests" to your spreadsheet just in case all 6000+ members show. :mrgreen:

JM, as always, that's a great idea.

Here is a rough idea I was considering...

Depending upon total number of people, having 2 or 3 groups with different plans in mind. We'll schedule breakfast at specific times/places and people can then choose which group they want to head off with. We'll also plan a dinner or drinks meetup at night for general nonsense! :lol:

Thought about trying to setup a mid-day meeting spot for each group, for those who are late or want to switch over, but that may be too much. Maybe giving out some cell numbers will be enough for people to track each other down mid-day.

Also, I am really interested in the idea of doing the White House tour, but they talk about a whole process of going through your local goverment official to make that happen. Anyone have any other info or suggestions on trying to line that up?

JonMikal said:
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans serif]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans serif]Prohibited Items[/FONT]
Prohibited items include, but are not limited to, the following: handbags, book bags, backpacks, purses, food and beverages of any kind, strollers, cameras, video recorders or any type of recording device, tobacco products, personal grooming items (make-up, hair brush or comb, lip or hand lotions, etc.), any pointed objects (pens, knitting needles, etc.), aerosol containers, guns, ammunition, fireworks, electric stun guns, mace, martial arts weapons/devices, or knives of any size. The U.S. Secret Service reserves the right to prohibit any other personal items. Umbrellas, wallets, cell phones and car keys are permitted.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans serif]Please note that no storage facilities are available on or around the complex. Individuals who arrive with prohibited items will not be permitted to enter the White House.[/FONT][/FONT]
:shock: sheesh! I didn't know I was gonna have to be naked for this! My wife isn't gonna be happy :er:

[/FONT]

woodsac said:
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans serif]
:shock: sheesh! I didn't know I was gonna have to be naked for this! My wife isn't gonna be happy :er:

[/FONT]

pretty much.

Chiller said:
I would really like to make it. I will keep y'all posted

YOU are among those who I would really like to meet in person one day, and it seems like this trip over (always provided nothing foreseen, but please not this soon! will happen to my mother-in-law!) is the only one in a long while that we can go on.

So if you Canadians could make it IT WOULD BE GREAT.

I think i will put this on my calender... Ill be sure to bring it up at the new Erie {Titusville} meetup... maybe we can make a big ol fashion caravan to DC...

Chase said:
Here is a rough idea I was considering...

Depending upon total number of people, having 2 or 3 groups with different plans in mind. We'll schedule breakfast at specific times/places and people can then choose which group they want to head off with. We'll also plan a dinner or drinks meetup at night for general nonsense! :lol:

Thought about trying to setup a mid-day meeting spot for each group, for those who are late or want to switch over, but that may be too much. Maybe giving out some cell numbers will be enough for people to track each other down mid-day.

Also, I am really interested in the idea of doing the White House tour, but they talk about a whole process of going through your local goverment official to make that happen. Anyone have any other info or suggestions on trying to line that up?

Chase,

That was why I had asked for cell phone numbers for the list I'm trying to keep...this way we can pass something out so everyone will be able to contact everyone (of course if you don't want to be contacted, don't give it...but then why are you comin'??).

As far as places to eat and meet up, I've been thiinking about that as well. That was one of the reasons I had asked for which hotels everyone's staying at...for logistics. There are so many awesome restaurants in DC, but if everyone is way spread out, that could present a problem.

So, as people let me know, I (and I might recruit JonMikal and ClarinetJWD if their up to it) will try to figure some of that stuff out, since I'm (we're) already boots on the ground, so to speak.

As far as drinks, you and I already have a date at my favorite watering hole--Nanny O'Briens...and I think everyone should come. I can see about getting the back room just for us...more to come on that one.

Anyway, like I keep sayin' as you decide, let me know so we can keep a good list from the beginning and not wait until the last minute!

Thanks, that's all, now I'm off to clean and meetup with JonMikal and Kelox...we'll be sure to scope out the place.

I've been trying to gather some info on places to stay, and I am definitely open to input and suggestions. I've had a few suggestions, and I was also looking at the Hyatt Regency Washington DC which is a couple of blocks from the Capitol (about $160/night there).

It would be great to get everyone as close together as possible. Taking over a hotel wouldn't be bad ;)

Chiller said:
Im really trying to figure a way to get there. The time off work is not a problem...$$$..might be. I heard it is around a 10 hour drive. I would really like to make it. I will keep y'all posted.

I'm doing the same thing right now ... l get a discount airline rate because I work for Lufthansa so it's elligible on all star alliance partners ... I can also get a discount for a travel buddy (it would be standby though?) ... I'll price it on Sunday when I go to work ... I figure less than $200 CAN incl taxes . ... might be something to think about

I'll let you know or PM you once I get a firm price

Don't know how I missed this thread? I grew up in the D/C Baltimore area, and fly back several times a year. I would HIGHLY reccomend that people fly into BWI in Baltimore. It is a very nice airport and offers very low fares.

I would also suggest that people look at Hotels in the Laurel or Glenburnie areas in MD. It is very close to BWI, would be a lot cheaper than hotels in D.C. and you would also have the option of going to D.C., Baltimore, the Mountains in Western MD, Anapolis and the Chea. Bay, the Ocean etc.

I will be there! I will be staying at my parents house in Laurel, but would be more than happy to carpool with anyone from the NW PA/SW NY area. I also may be going down on Wed. and doing a day trip on Thursday to the Ocean.

errant_star said:
I'm doing the same thing right now ... l get a discount airline rate because I work for Lufthansa so it's elligible on all star alliance partners ... I can also get a discount for a travel buddy (it would be standby though?) ... I'll price it on Sunday when I go to work ... I figure less than $200 CAN incl taxes . ... might be something to think about

I'll let you know or PM you once I get a firm price

Thanks Jen. Im still working on $$$ myself too.

Chiller, the drive is not too bad, I drove bt Washington the day before 9-11, on my way home from a nascar race.. Daisy and i will be there so long as the US visa is ready.. we now have an appointment in Toronto for her interview on Feb 16th, and it takes a few days to receive the visa by mail, if all goes well., i don't forsee any issues. I am pretty sure Airic and Bernie will be coming too..

it's 8 hours from here.

Most reactions

Back