TPF Member Choice Photos

jadin

The Mad Hatter
Reaction score
Website
jadinhanson.smugmug.com
Here's my idea, we nominate the very best photos and keep it in an archive of sorts. Kind of like a tribute to people's talent. Take some time, put some thought into your nominations, and try to view a lot of photos before you make your decision. After we get enough nominations, we can setup a different thread and vote.

- Don't nominate your own photos.

- Link to the photo (or post) and make sure their username is in your nomination so we know who it was.

- Don't take it personally if you aren't nominated. There are over 6000 members so to be able to stick out is an accomplishment. Give it time and keep at it, someday you might be surprised and find yourself on the member's choice!

- Try to avoid nominating "good" photos, rather nominate "THE BEST" photos, let's make this an honor to recieve and not something every other photo recieves.

- Admins: If there is a better place for this, just move it. Or a better way to implement it.

- Ideally we would put a copy of the winning photos somewhere other than your own host. (I hate looking at old threads and seeing red x's. Not only that, but hopefully they will still be here long after you're gone. [I sound so morbid!! :D])

Lastly if you have a suggestion as to how to make this a better idea, post it!! I just came up with this idea and haven't put a lot of thought into it.

I like the idea of an 'all time greats' thread but I don't think the honour should be given out on a regular basis.

Maybe a secret nomination button/proceedure, a certain amount of nominations required for consideration and the final approval given by a select panel of judges.

I think this should be a very select honour.

Do you guys do a photo of the year? Where the 12 photos from each of the "Photo of the Month" threads are up and voted for the photo of the year.

Surely that makes sense. A yearly award for the best photograph. like the TPF Pulitzer.

Moved.

I rather like the idea, although how many people vote in the TPF challenge?
And seeing how quickly posts can drop in the Galleries it could become 'the best photo you've seen' and you may well miss some really good ones.
I think the only idea that might work would be to have a sticky sub-gallery. People vote for images as they are posted regardless of where they have been posted.
The top 10 or so each month go into the sticky, where they can still be voted for. Every now and then the lowest scoring bunch are weeded out. By the end of the year we should have 5 or 10 top prints that could then go into a permanent gallery.
We could also vote for Photograph of the Year.
Can't think of any other way to get it to work just now...

The only trouble I can see with this idea is that it's a bit of a lottery - there's no real way for anyone to take the time to view the vast quantity of great quality pictures that come through here.

Also, it's the whole artistic thing again - what floats my boat certainly wouldn't win any popularity contests. I don't think I've ever agreed with any photography competition I've been to either - just enjoyed the experience and the canopés.

R

Hertz van Rental said:
I rather like the idea, although how many people vote in the TPF challenge?

I rarely vote on the challenges (or enter for that matter) since it's out of the way. My favorite's link goes straight to the main forum, the main homepage changes so rarely it saves time. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does that.

Hertz van Rental said:
And seeing how quickly posts can drop in the Galleries it could become 'the best photo you've seen' and you may well miss some really good ones.

True, but the better photos usually wind up being bumped and replied to a lot more than the mediocre photos.

Hertz van Rental said:
I think the only idea that might work would be to have a sticky sub-gallery. People vote for images as they are posted regardless of where they have been posted.
The top 10 or so each month go into the sticky, where they can still be voted for. Every now and then the lowest scoring bunch are weeded out. By the end of the year we should have 5 or 10 top prints that could then go into a permanent gallery.
We could also vote for Photograph of the Year.
Can't think of any other way to get it to work just now...

:confused: Dunno...

jadin said:
True, but the better photos usually wind up being bumped and replied to a lot more than the mediocre photos.
That is a subjective view - 'better' and 'mediocre' in who's opinion? ;)

In this case mine. :) There's always exceptions, and just because something is popular doesn't make it good, and vice versa. Hollywood can prove that. Notice I italised usually.

My point is, if what we're going for is the general public's favorites, then that's fairly easy to determine and rank. I understand there is a HUGE difference between popular and quality. Some of the most widely held masterpieces in the art world I don't care for, I think it's possible that these pieces don't speak to me because I was not living in that time period. But it's also my belief that a true masterpiece would be considered so in every time period, not just the one it was created in. At the same time some of the most popular pieces I wonder who's insane, me, the artist, or the general public who actually chooses to buy it. (I like to think it's the G.P.)

This is a highly debatable subject that's been done thousands of times over, and I'm not sure will ever be decided. What I do know is there is a lot of extremely high quality artwork coming through this site, and most of it is viewable a mere 48 hours and then disappears forever into the ether of archived pages. If someone wanted to find some of that exceptional artwork, how would they find it?? You can't search for photos, only words, so finding a particular piece of work is a near impossibility.

What I want to see happen is a 'best of' gallery where new users and old can go to when they feel like, and be inspired by truly great artwork, and especially not spending a week finding it all. How that is implimented isn't important from my pov. Just seeing it happen is what I look forward to.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back