TPF on Vent?

Sw1tchFX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm in another forum that has a ventrilo server ( www.techonvent.net ), and so far, it's been a great way to (literally) talk to people. All you need is a microphone and a broadband connection.
Basically, everyone connects to a server and has a conference call. It’s great to talk to people you’ve seen on the boards, and they turn out to be a completely different person than you thought they were before (usually for the better).

I think it could be a great extension to TPF, and a lot of fun becuase it doesn't necessarily mean that we need to talk about photography, and it's alot more personal.

I’m just wondering how many people could be interested in seeing something like this happen.

I moved this thread over to the Feedback & Suggestions forum. :) Let's see some more input!

Considering how little chat goes on in the existing chat, I'm sort of inclined to believe that it won't catch on. Or more likely, will for a while then taper off.

Can't hurt to try it. I'd say just make one and see how active it is, I'd go on it.

I believe you have to purchase a license for the server and then set it up, so it's not something you can just throw up. My WoW guild has one. I only use it for raids. It's not like a normal conversation. There is a slight delay, so I find the conversation stilted and uncomfortable. It's great for keeping track of everyone during a large videogame brawl or maybe one-on-one, but that's all I'd use it for personally.

You're right, you do have to buy a server and that's why i'm asking how many people would consider it. I don't use Vent for videogames beucase i don't really play them anymore, It's just to have a chat, and on techonvent, when we get about 10+ people in there, we can just go on talking forever.

Ooh I see. I guess the you can set one up on your PC too for free, but it's laggy as heck. That must be what I'm thinking? I honestly can't say I'd use it a lot, but have you looked into Teamspeak or is that costly as well?

Most reactions

Back