TPF Photo Challenge -June '14 - "Shadows"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm the only one but I do not see the submissions?

The submissions are all sent to an e-mail account. At the beginning of the next month we will post a thread with all the entries. =)

It also helps with anonymity. There's potential that there could be favoritism if we all knew who shot what, so this helps.

Exactly, if I posted my submission here, everyone would just vote for it cause they love me.

Running out of time and not happy with the ideas I've come up with so far! Somedays I just hate "life"! :grumpy: (Ha ha!)

Last edited:
I am working on something that is hopefully cool. Don't tell my boss I'm playing at the office. Lol

Braineack said:
There's no reason a 700px image can't look good on screen.

Actually there are plenty of reasons a 700 pixel wide image might look like utter crap. MANY entire genres or types of images lose a ton of impact because fine detail, or larger scene areas, simply can NOT be conveyed well in a squished down 700-pixel, 500KB size file. I can think of hundreds of types of scenes that look like rubbish when downsampled to such a degree. If the area shown is larger than say, 20 feet across, at that size, many image lose the small details, lose the nuance, lose the "quality" that is often required to fully appreciate a scene.

Vague, generalized, impressionistic or pictorialist type images can look fine at 700 pixels wide and 500KB; try a shot of a Washington state apple blossom orchard view at 700 pixels max and 500KB...the shot will fall flat.

With today's cameras, a 500KB image at 700px is basically looking not at a photograph, but a thumbnail of the concept.

Braineack said:
There's no reason a 700px image can't look good on screen.

Actually there are plenty of reasons a 700 pixel wide image might look like utter crap. MANY entire genres or types of images lose a ton of impact because fine detail, or larger scene areas, simply can NOT be conveyed well in a squished down 700-pixel, 500KB size file. I can think of hundreds of types of scenes that look like rubbish when downsampled to such a degree. If the area shown is larger than say, 20 feet across, at that size, many image lose the small details, lose the nuance, lose the "quality" that is often required to fully appreciate a scene.

Vague, generalized, impressionistic or pictorialist type images can look fine at 700 pixels wide and 500KB; try a shot of a Washington state apple blossom orchard view at 700 pixels max and 500KB...the shot will fall flat.

With today's cameras, a 500KB image at 700px is basically looking not at a photograph, but a thumbnail of the concept.

Its also protects your dearly beloved image from theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back