Track & Field C&C

redtippmann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone just wanted some C&C on a couple of shots I got from todays events. This is for my year book and there is another meet Friday so hope to improve a little by then.

1)
3550226522_2f5ca47b5f.jpg

2)
3549423443_b88b74b6df.jpg

3)
3550364450_ffb9b3e7ff.jpg

4)
3550223510_599d0776c5.jpg

5)
3549415749_0889844212.jpg

Thanks!:D

I think you should crop in much closer to put more focus on the subject.

Good shots.

dan
Thank, yea I just used a 50mm prime all day(besides the last one) and haven't really edited them. I'm not too big on post editing, even cropping :)

I really like your shots.

However, like said above, I think they would be a 100% better if you could zoom up a bit, maybe even see some facial expressions!

Great shots though

Need to watch out for poles growing out of people's heads (see #1). I really like #3 where she is running right into you and (as others have said) the crop is a little tighter so you get facial expressions. Nice shots.

Thanks allot! I got a 55-200mm today and cant wait till tomorrow! BTW its a very nice lens but get the VR version.

good shots but you might want to zoom in a little more on the athletes
clear.gif

Now that you have that new lens, you can zoom in closer, which will help. These are nice (the weather worked much to your advantage, too), but still quite a bit busy! I like the "overall atmosphere"-photo, though (2). This is one where I really appreciate the narrow DOF!

But when I saw the first, I instantly thought "Watch for the backgrounds", as that jumper is having the pole growing out of his head (or so it seems ;)). Also the hurdle runners have A LOT OF background going along with their running, and it's distracting.

The all blue sky helped you get a fairly neutral background in the last two, but you were too far away, which has been mentioned several times over. But with the new lens... ! ;)

Thanks, you said that the hurdle runners had a lot of background. How would I change this sence I can't stay on the track only off to the side.

With the longer lens you'll more easily get a blurred background, that will help you in the future (you said you do get a 55-200mm lens, didn't you?). It'll require more light, hence you'll have to use a wider aperture, that, too, will help you blur out the backgrounds.

Track and field is tough because at the end of the day, they're just running. There isn't a clash or a fight to photograph like there is in football or basketball. What that means is that you have to get in as tight as you can on people's faces and capture their internal struggle.

If you have trouble catching people in focus on really fast sprint events, try setting your focus on a certain spot and leave it, then shoot as they come towards your focus spot. It's a bit hit-or-miss but for some events it beats having nothing at all in focus.

I get what people are saying about zooming in more to their faces, but I'm sure the athletes appreciate what you captured- their height. You got some fantastic colors in 1, 5 and 7.

And man, for yearbook photos, I have to say that these are superb :) Are you in high school? My highschool yearbook "photographers" sucked hard core.

ha thanks, and yea im a freshman in high school and normally 9th graders cant join but I guess they like it so far:sexywink: but Friday didn't go so well b/c I had to go right when they finally started so Ill be going tomorrow and hopefully can stay all day. Thanks again for the help!

Most reactions

Back